Optical Systems Design Architecture Engineer New Grad
City : Ottawa
Category : Engineering
Industry : Telecommunications
Employer : Ciena
Ciena is committed to our people-first philosophy. Our teams enjoy a culture focused on prioritizing a personalized and flexible work environment that empowers an individual’s passions, growth, wellbeing and belonging. We’re a technology company that leads with our humanity—driving our business priorities alongside meaningful social, community, and societal impact.
**Please include transcript as part of application for further consideration.**
- We’re a company rooted in people—seeking to create a vibrant and inclusive environment, where everyone feels they can belong.
- Accelerate your career path by gaining hands-on experience and exposure to the latest technology.
- Mentoring. Networking. Leadership Opportunities. We recognize that the learning doesn’t stop when you leave school - we champion a team environment for development and provide the tools to achieve success.
- We are big proponents of life-work integration. Our people make a big difference at Ciena, but we want to shine light on their differences outside of working hours too. CienaCares supports non-profit causes important to employees by matching employee financial contributions and dedicating time for volunteering.
New grad position starting January 2024
How You Will Contribute:
The successful candidate will develop and execute system level test plans for new WaveLogic coherent modem products. Such testing will have a primary purpose of confirming correct internal and external behavior of the products in areas such as performance related behaviours related to DSP capabilities, as well as fault handling and signal conditioning. Initial scope will be for WaveLogic and related products.
- Document test plan(s) for broadband modem and client cards in various configurations.
- Perform manual and automated DSP performance testing of coherent modems using state of the art optical impairment test setups.
- Work closely with senior systems team staff as well as other development team subject matter experts to determine best setup for various types of testing that need to be executed.
- Perform manual and automated testing of broadband modems in various configurations to confirm correct behaviours in normal and faulted conditions. Document test results during the testing.
- Work closely with other test groups to minimize duplication of test effort, yet ensure proper test coverage.
- Determine best method to automate testing and generation of meaningful results.
- Review test results within modem systems team, and with appropriate SMEs from other groups to determine design improvements that can be made.
- Raise and track JIRAs (problem tickets) to fix problems and improve product, as appropriate.
What Does Ciena Expect of You?
- A sense of urgency – what’s important to the customer is equally important to you. You make getting things done a priority.
- Integrity – you hold yourself to the highest level of personal and professional standards of conduct.
- A commitment to innovation – you continually seek to learn, understand new technologies and ever-changing market conditions, and endeavour to apply that knowledge to Ciena’s advantage.
- You embrace change – thriving in a diverse environment of ever-changing priorities and sometimes stressful situations.
- The flexibility to work independently with minimal supervision as well as part of a broader team.
The successful candidate will have an excellent mix of abilities including good interpersonal skills, excellent team player, strong hands-on lab skills (or a desire for them!), programming & lab automation underscored by a strong work ethic.
The Must Haves:
- A Bachelors degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering or a related field.
- Hands-on, roll-up-the-sleeves personality.
- Action-oriented, self-starter, organized, able to work both under direction and independently.
- Familiarity with use of one or more of Ciena’s transport products (6500, 5400, 8700, WaveServer)
- Familiarity with transport protocols (Ethernet, FC, SONET/SDH, OTN)
- Familiarity with pluggable optics control interface and specifications
- Experience working with, and automation of, lab test equipment in a hardware development environment.
- Programming experience in the following is an asset: Matlab (for performance test automation), C, Python, Linux, scripting languages
- Experience with coherent technology and optical fiber impairments is an asset
- Working knowledge of MS Office tool suite (Word, Excel), and working with large data sets (sorting, filtering, graphing).
At Ciena, we are committed to building and fostering an environment in which our employees feel respected, valued, and heard. Ciena values the diversity of its workforce and respects its employees as individuals. We do not tolerate any form of discrimination.
If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, please advise Ciena of any accommodation measures you may require.