Optical Measurements Engineer
City : Ottawa
Category : Engineering
Industry : Telecommunications
Employer : Ciena
Ciena is committed to our people-first philosophy. Our teams enjoy a culture focused on prioritizing a personalized and flexible work environment that empowers an individual’s passions, growth, wellbeing and belonging. We’re a technology company that leads with our humanity—driving our business priorities alongside meaningful social, community, and societal impact.
Research Scientist Engineer: New-Grad Optical Measurements
Achieve your ideal career at the forefront of innovation with Ciena. We know the importance of life outside of work, which is why our employees enjoy unlimited paid time off and the freedom of working remotely. Ciena empowers our teams with competitive salaries and incentives, community volunteer programs, professional development resources, and support for our mental and physical health—all experienced within a diverse and inclusive culture. To put it simply, we’re a technology company driven by our humanity.
How You Will Contribute:
Ciena is a leading supplier of optical line and transmission equipment. Join a diverse science and engineering team that invents, designs, and verifies Ciena’s next coherent transceivers.
Reporting to Senior Manager, Research Scientist Engineering and as a member of the WaveLogic science team you will contribute by means your design, modelling and measurement skills in communication theory, digital signal processing, optical physics, and performance measurements. We provide a learning environment that enables rapid progression to contributing membership in the team.
Optical Measurement Responsibilities
- Design and run experiments to evaluate DSP algorithms and hardware for next-generation high-speed optical communication systems.
- Analyze, document, communicate, and present the results from complex experiments and large data sets.
- Support other Ciena teams through automation and analysis of optical experiments.
- Create innovative solutions for experimental issues.
- Automate, analyze, and visualize experimental data in MATLAB.
- Create and perform simulations of experiments then validate predictions via measurement.
- Test DSP algorithms and state-of-the-art electro-optic components at 800 Gb/s and beyond employing measurement instruments such as arbitrary waveform generator (AWG), real time oscilloscope (RTO), optical spectrum analyzer (OSA) in lab.
- Analyze problems in your specific areas of knowledge, which would be a subset of optical physics, communications theory, statistics, and high-speed RF electronics.
- Advanced technology demonstrations for customers.
- Post-graduate degree in Math, Physics, or Engineering with a focus on optical physics, DSP, or communication systems.
- Must have experience working in a lab environment with optical and/or RF technologies.
- Must have MATLAB experience.
- Python experience is an asset.
Collaboration with stakeholders
- Interface and collaborate on technical designs with DSP, hardware, firmware, electro-optic, and systems teams.
- Share expertise and best practices with lab teams.
Areas of Impact
- Key DSP technology to enable state-of-the-art coherent optical modem and DWDM systems.
At Ciena, we are committed to building and fostering an environment in which our employees feel respected, valued, and heard. Ciena values the diversity of its workforce and respects its employees as individuals. We do not tolerate any form of discrimination.
If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, please advise Ciena of any accommodation measures you may require.