Operations Worker II
City : Vancouver
Category : Parks, Recreation, and Culture
Industry : Government
Employer : City of Vancouver
Requisition ID: 39587
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Peoples, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and Canada's Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
Under direct supervision, the Operations Worker II is responsible for a variety of tasks, which can include heavy physical effort and agility and the use of hand and/or motorized tools used for general horticulture maintenance, brushing for restoration projects, and trail maintenance. These roles will contribute to the overall care and maintenance of Vancouver Parks.
A current and valid Class 5 or higher Drivers License is a requirement of this position. The license must not include any restrictions that would affect the ability to legally and safely carry out the responsibilities of the position. Transportation arrangements must meet operational requirements of the Department. Applicants will be required to provide a current drivers’ abstract and claims history report – both available through ICBC's website. The successful candidates must be prepared to work in various park locations within the organization. Functional and or physical assessment related to the bona fide position requirements may be required.
Candidates must attach the following documents to be considered:
- Commercial Driver's Abstract for the past 5 years
- Insurance & Claims History for the past 5 years
This position is full time hours (7:00am - 3:30pm), Monday to Friday until the end of November with the possibility of extension.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
Successful candidates must have sufficient physical strength, stamina and coordination to perform heavy physical labour; ability to lift, push and pull heavy objects; ability to walk or stand continuously with frequent bending or twisting; ability to work close to moving machinery and in high traffic areas; ability to work on ladders, ability to work outside in all weather conditions, and on uneven surfaces; ability to use a variety of tools and equipment.
The Operations Worker II’s may be responsible for a variety of park operations tasks including digging, planting, weeding, raking and edging flowerbeds, sweeping and clearing pathways, cutting grass, operating mowers, using line trimmers and general turf care equipment, collecting and removing litter, as well as other duties as required.
Education and Experience:
- Up to completion of high school and some work experience in basic labour; horticulture training or experience an asset.
- Class 5 or higher Drivers License for the Province of British Columbia.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of safe work procedures
- Sound knowledge of the tools, materials and equipment used in the work.
- Some knowledge of construction and landscape maintenance tasks.
- Some knowledge of the functions of the branch concerned and the establish practices in carrying out the work.
- Ability to exercise some independence of judgement and action in the routine or simple aspects of the work.
- Ability to courteously answer questions and deal with the public.
- Ability to use a variety of tools and equipment
- Skill in the use a variety of tools related to landscape maintenance.
- Sufficient physical strength, stamina and coordination to permit the performance of heavy manual outdoor work in all weather.
- A current and valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License and a Satisfactory National Safety Code driving record
- 5 years accumulation of no more than 9 points, not in excess of 3 points per single year
- 3 years accumulation of no more than 1 preventable work related driving or equipment operating accident in any single year
- Employees who do not demonstrate a satisfactory driving record will have their application reviewed in more detail
The City’s COVID-19 vaccination policy is currently suspended and as a result, vaccination against COVID-19 is not required at this time. However, should circumstances change and the City deem it necessary to re-introduce such policy, you may be required to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be eligible to continue performing your duties.
Business Unit/Department: Board of Parks & Recreation (1400)
Affiliation: CUPE 1004 Parks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: October, 2023
Position End Date: November 30, 2023
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-310: $30.42 per hour
Application Close: Open until filled
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous peoples, people of colour, 2SLGBTQ+ persons including all genders and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Before you click Apply now
Once you start your application you can save your work and leave the applications page, however please remember to submit your profile to the specific job requisition before the posting closing date.
In addition to uploading your cover letter and resume, part of the application process may include answering application questions related to the preferred requirements of the role which may take approx. 5-10 minutes. Cover letters should express interest and highlight additional information relevant to the position and resumes should include a summary of skills and experience related to the position.