Office Assistant, Reception
City : CAN - ON - Ottawa Office
Category : FAC-Facilities
Industry : Civil and Social Organizations
Employer : Canadian Red Cross
Title: Office Assistant, Reception
Employee Working Location: Office/In-person (Ottawa, ON)
Employment status: Temporary full time (Summer, 2 months)
The Canadian Red Cross (CRC) – one of the most inspirational not-for-profit organizations on this planet and an awardee on the Forbes list of Canada’s Best Employers 2022 - is seeking an Office Assistant, Reception to join our team.
We are guided by our Fundamental Principles of humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity, and universality. We help people and communities in Canada and around the world in times of need and support them in strengthening their resilience.
Starting with the hiring process, we are committed to having an accessible, diverse, inclusive, and barrier-free work environment where everyone can reach their full potential. We encourage all qualified persons who share our values and want to contribute to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace to apply.
The incumbent will be responsible for supporting the daily operations pertaining to office administration and reception in Ottawa. This position is best suited for someone with the skills and experience to handle a broad range of administrative related tasks and activities as well as excellent communications skills.
In this role, you will:
- Use our phone system which interacts with a PC, receive and direct incoming telephone calls for the Ottawa office which is Headquarters of the Canadian Red Cross.
- Answer all calls not forwarded by the automated answering system.
- Use Outlook; retrieve and respond to voicemails, accurately respond to general inquiries from staff, volunteers, donors, or professionals.
- Follow guidelines, ensure that visitors follow security procedures by signing in.
- Issue office access cards as necessary to staff and visitors.
- Use the internet, arrange for courier pickups and receive incoming courier shipments.
- Work on Microsoft Word, maintain contact information lists, enter requisition orders, process invoices for payment, maintain reception manual, organize incoming mail.
- Use MS Word, organizing and ordering office supplies. Maintain postage machine funds using the postage machine hardware and software.
- Process walk-in donations interacting with donors and providing a simple receipt.
- Provide administrative support to the Facilities Department.
- Provide occasional reception relief support at the Ottawa office.
- Provide administrative support to the Manager, Facilities in Ottawa and the Director, Real Estate
What we are looking for:
- To apply, you must be-between 15 and 30 years of age and legally entitled to work in Canada (which means you must have a valid Social Insurance Number).
- The minimum qualifications for this job include completion of secondary school and at least two years of job-related work experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Working experience in service administration, and customer service.
- Very good organizational, time management, and prioritization skills.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite (Excel, Outlook, Word).
- Good analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills.
- Valid First Aid Certificate is an asset.
- Experience in working with a diverse population and an understanding of cultural issues is an asset.
- Knowledge in SmartSheets is an asset.
- Knowledge of the CRC + platform is an asset.
- Fluency in French and English is required .
- Eligibility to work in Canada: At this time, we welcome applications from candidates eligible to work in Canada. If you are not a citizen or permanent resident of Canada, we encourage you to carefully review your visa to find out whether you are eligible to work in the job you are considering applying for. Refer to our FAQ for more information.
- If you are selected for this role, you will be required to complete a successful pre-employment screening process which includes a satisfactory Enhanced Police Information Check (E-PIC).
- At this time , the CRC has temporarily suspended our Covid-19 vaccination policy and does not require but continues to strongly encourage full vaccination of all our personnel.
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible - those who apply after the selection process has started may be held for a second review if needed OR reviewed for alternative roles. We appreciate the time and effort it takes to apply and thank you in advance.
If you require accommodation measures during any phase of the hiring process, please notify us as soon as possible. All information received in relation to accommodation requests will be kept confidential.