Occupational Health & Safety Co-op Student
City : Sparwood, British Columbia, CA
Category : Students & Graduates
Industry : Mining/Quarrying
Employer : Teck
Start Date: January 2024
Duration: 8 – 12 months
Location: Elkview Operations located near Sparwood, BC
Application Deadline: September 24, 2023
Why consider Teck Resources Ltd. for your Co-op placement?
Teck hires more than 200 co-op students each year to work at our various Canadian operations. Teck has been named as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers by Mediacorp Canada’s Top Employers program for the past six years, and was included in the Forbes World’s Best Employers 2021 and 2022 list and Canada's Top Employer for Young People 2022 and 2023. Teck is also ranked #1 in the Minerals and Mining Industry on the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for 12 consecutive years, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 percent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies.
Teck Coal Limited is the world’s second largest seabourne exporter of steelmaking coal. We have 4 mining operations located in the Elk Valley region in the beautiful Southeastern Rockies, BC. Our product is an essential ingredient to make steel which is used for building infrastructure as well as for clean energy projects like wind and solar power, to transportation alternatives like rapid transit and buses. Check out this link to learn more: Teck Coal Limited
Innovate with Teck
Digital technologies are redefining our industry and contributing to improvements in every step of the mining process. We improve our efficiency, safety, sustainability and growth by putting smarter ideas to work and crafting advancements in our technology and our practice. At Teck, we embrace new ideas, and employ them. Teck fosters a culture where employees are encouraged to bring ideas forward and implement technologies that can help make us a better company.
Professional benefits of working as a co-op with Teck Resources Ltd:
- Our values guide every decision we make as a company and as individual employees. Teck is led by our values of safety, sustainability, integrity, respect, excellence, and courage
- The opportunity to work on exciting projects alongside a team of professionals who are specialists in their respective fields, you will experience a combination of projects in the field as well as in the office
- Competitive salary for our co-ops as well as assistance with travel costs and co-op fees
- Make an impression! Successful co-ops with Teck are given first consideration for professional positions upon graduation
- Working towards a diploma or degree in Occupational Health and Safety or Ergonomics or a degree in Data Analytics with a focused on health and safety
- Experience working in mining or heavy construction considered an asset
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills with a capability to communicate complex ideas to all levels
- Experience in practical and theoretical safety/loss control is an asset
- Comfortable working in a dynamic work environment, with a willingness to work outdoors, and able to operate vehicles in various weather conditions and terrain
- Experience working effectively with hourly and management employees as well as Occupational Health and Safety Committees
- Proficient in the Microsoft Office Suite® of applications: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to manage several projects simultaneously
- Participation in the health and safety programs of Teck to ensure that everyone on site goes home safe and healthy everyday
- Support injury management strategy by analyzing data and safety trending
- Assist with Safety Management and participating in Health and Safety projects that require process change management requirements and pre-start review (PSR) documentation / operational readiness
- Assist and support with Health and Safety documentation such as policies, procedures, work instructions, document revision, and archiving
- Demonstrate courageous leadership by promoting a safe work environment, ensuring everyone goes home safe and healthy every day
- Ensuring compliance with Teck Health, Safety and Environmental Programs and the BC Mines Act
- Create and evaluate innovative ideas and technologies to help improve the way we do business
All students will be required to complete pre-employment drug testing prior to commencing work. Proof of a valid work permit will also be required, if applicable.
At Teck, we have a variety of flexible schedules that can offer you a work life balance. Teck also offers the chance live and work in some of the worlds most amazing locations where year-round local attractions and recreational choices are unlimited for the outdoor enthusiasts! We have world-class mountain biking, skiing, hiking and fly fishing all at your doorstep.
How to Apply
If you are interested in this exciting student work term opportunity, please include your resume and unofficial transcripts as part of your online application.
Recruitment is ongoing and applications will be reviewed as they are received.
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal and zinc, as well as investments in energy assets.
Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK. Learn more about Teck at www.teck.com or follow @TeckResources.