Nurse Manager, Emergency Mental Health & Addiction Services
City : Guelph
Category : Full-time Salaried
Industry : Nursing
Employer : Homewood Health Inc.
What you’ll be doing:
- Manage, supervise and monitor overall delivery of patient care and related unit activity including nursing model of care
- Act as a resource and contact for community and family members as well as for clinical emergencies, codes and infection control issues
- Monitor and follow-up on critical incidents, patient and family complaints/concerns
- Direct the workflow, and oversee productivity and engagement of the charge nurse and nursing team, which will include staff development, orientation, recruitment, scheduling, performance management/progressive disciplinary process and union-related activities
- Act as a consultant in complex clinical decisions relating to patient care, admissions, transfers and discharges
- Facilitate problem solving, conflict resolution and integration/collaboration with the interdisciplinary team
- Evaluate nursing care and practices and ensure competency of nursing staff in accordance with Standards of Practice, Ethical Standards, Legislated Regulated Health Professions Act, Patient Care, Hospital Standards, and College of Nurses of Ontario
- Supervise implementation of, and adherence to, new policies, procedures and equipment related to team members and patient care
- Develop and implement nursing standards, policies, and procedures as well as protocols that address nursing treatment plans, in collaboration with the Sr. Manager of the unit and professional practice
- Coordinate clinical placement of nursing students and facilitate learning needs of nursing students, in conjunction with their instructors or charge nurse
- Provide leadership in debriefing, reviewing and follow-up of all critical incidents that occur, in alignment with your Director
- Review, respond and take action to reduce risk management issues
- Initiate, design and implement quality improvement activities within the nursing unit
- Ensure that necessary data related to the key quality indicators for the nursing unit is available and collected for analysis
- In collaboration with your Director, prepare the budget submission and maintain day to day, the approved budget relating to nursing
- Ensure ongoing compliance with accreditation standards
What we’re looking for:
- BScN is required; CPMHN (C) is preferred
- Health Management experience is required; Healthcare or Business related Masters is preferred
- 5-10 years’ experience working with patients who have a broad range of psychiatric and addiction diagnoses, including at least 2 years in a supervisory role with both union and non-union staff
- Self-directed, sound decision maker with excellent organizational skills
- Sound clinical judgment based on current practices and patient/client centered care
- Excellent people management skills and experience motivating a performing team, in both union and non-union environments
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong ability to problem solve and negotiate
- Solid understanding of the patient population, patient acuity and general management practices including budget management and healthcare budgeting
- Strong inter-personal skills and respectful communication style with staff, patients and families
- Excellent computer skills and experience with working with a number of systems and software applications
- Applied understanding of principles of health and safety in the workplace
As part of our commitment to the health and safety of our patients, staff and community from COVID-19, subject to any accommodation required by applicable human rights legislation, Homewood Health Centre requires that all staff have received all required doses of a COVID-19 vaccine approved by Health Canada.
Why Work With Us
Homewood Health is Canada’s largest and leading service provider for medically focused, evidence-based treatment of mental health and addiction disorders. Our organizational culture values service excellence, integrity, collaboration and innovation. Our people make a difference!
As an equal opportunity employer, Homewood Health is committed to employment accessibility, diversity, equity and inclusion. For this reason, we encourage applications from members of equity-seeking groups including women, racialized and indigenous communities, persons with disabilities, and persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities/expressions.
Join us at Homewood Health™ and be part of a diverse team helping Canadians live healthier, more productive and fulfilling lives.