NPI and LCM Component Engineer
City : Remote Site, Ontario, Canada
Category : Supply Chain, Logistics & Quality Assurance
Industry : Telecommunications
Employer : Ciena
Since 1992, Ciena has been driven by a relentless pursuit of network innovation. We believe in a network that grows smarter, more agile, and more responsive every day. This means that when you digitally interact in your world - picking up the phone, streaming video, texting a friend or loved one – your interactions are being enabled by Ciena technologies. Ciena makes your social / entertainment / business existence REAL.
No candidate will meet every single desired qualification. If your experience looks a little different from what we’ve identified below and you think you can bring value to the role, we’d love to learn more about you!
Do you really enjoy life/work balance?
Find out about our FLEX PTO and company shutdowns so you can rejuvenate and reenergize.
Are you looking to earn extra income to work with your friends?
Bring your friends with you on this new career opportunity and get rewarded for referring great talent! The openings are limitless and YOU earn cash for every eligible referral we hire.
Then Unlock your potential at Ciena!
What will you do at Ciena?
Ciena’s Supply chain procurement organization is looking for a dynamic component engineer in charge of reviewing product bill of materials (BOM) during New Product Introduction (NPI) and Life Cycle Management (LCM) development programs and identify the various component risks factors (component application life, solder joint reliability, market availability, single source, life cycle, technology risks, environmental compliance and others) and work to minimize or eliminate the risk factors by teaming up with commodity specific component engineers, design engineers, global commodity managers, product operations engineers and others. The successful candidate will be responsible to review NPI and LCM products BOMs throughout the full design cycle (iterative process) as well as key products BOMs to drive product life cycle management activities to de-risk Ciena supply chain.
In collaboration with product cost leaders, the component engineer will also have the responsibility to follow up with Global commodity managers to ensure they secure BOM Item pricing in a timely matter
Ciena products component scope covers all direct commodities (printed circuits boards, interconnect, mechanical, optical, semiconductors and OEMs products) that are procured from Ciena supplier base ($3B spend, +2,500 products, +25,000 manufacturer part numbers, +600 suppliers).
NPI and LCM Component engineer is responsible for the following tasks in a timely & professional manner.
- Perform component risk factor assessment on New Product Introduction (NPI) and Life Cycle Management (LCM) development programs
- Work with commodity specific component engineers to propose alternate components to minimize supply chain or component related risk factors
- Establish the set of criteria that defines component risk factors with commodity specific component engineers and global commodity managers
- Ensure component qualifications schedules meet development milestone timelines.
- Represent the procurement team during product development milestone reviews.
- Communicate component selection guidance for Ciena products.
- Ensure BOM item pricing availability.
- Support EMS on component related questions (pricing, technical, sourcing)
- Continue to develop tools and process to minimize the component technical/sourcing risk.
- Coordinate prompt resolution of component risks.
Qualifications and Experience required:
- Technical degree or bachelor’s in engineering with 5 to 10 years of relevant experience.
- Electronics communication components (passives, semiconductors, electro-optics, optics, mechanical) subject matter expertise.
- Telecommunication product knowledge with strong knowledge of relevant industry standards, (Telcordia, IPC,JEDEC, etc.)
- Expert user of Microsoft office applications (excel, word, powerpoint)
- Experience with VBA, PowerBI, Agile PLM and Alteryx preferred
- Good judgement and quick learner
- Strong communication/team work skills to work with relevant departments within Ciena.
- Strong leadership and influencing skills.
- Clear sense of accountability, attention to detail, organized and motivated to grow the role.
- Focused on completing assigned tasks in a timely manner.
At Ciena, we are committed to building and fostering an environment in which our employees feel respected, valued, and heard. Ciena values the diversity of its workforce and respects its employees as individuals. We do not tolerate any form of discrimination.
If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, please advise Ciena of any accommodation measures you may require.