North America Chief Information Officer (Toronto, ON, CA)
City : See posting
Category : Other
Industry : Legal Services
Employer : Dentons
Dentons is designed to be different. Our firm leads the way in a rapidly changing legal marketplace. We challenge the status quo and deliver consistent results as well as uncompromising quality and value to our clients. Our global presence is renowned with over 20,000 individuals in more than 200 offices across 82 countries.
Dentons Canada is committed to its people and communities. We are consistently recognized as an employer of choice having received numerous awards including being selected as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers (2023); Canada’s Top Employers for Young People (2023); Canada’s Best Diversity Employers (2022); Mansfield Rule 4.0+ Certification; Chambers Diversity & Inclusion Awards, North America 2021; and Canada Law Awards for Pro Bono Initiative of the Year 2021.
This role is an opportunity for you to join the world’s largest law firm, a firm that offers opportunities to build your career while growing your skills and deepening your expertise.
Primary Responsibilities :
- In support of the Firm’s strategic plan and business objectives, determines the operating model for information and technology to foster business-oriented and digital-ready culture, mindsets and practices.
- Contributes actively to enterprise strategy and business capability strategic planning. Leads the development of information technology and management plans and product/service roadmaps. Ensures integration with the Firm’s strategic planning process, and the resulting business strategy and plans.
- Establishes active relationships with practice group chairs, managing partners and members of the leadership team across North America. Acts as a trusted advisor to ensure all executive leaders can, with the CIO, make confident decisions about the application of information and technology within their units and across the Firm.
- Ensures information technology and management capabilities are delivered reliably, cost effectively and securely. Ensures the team’s contributions are delivered with agility based on changing Firm objectives, goals and strategies.
- Oversee and reports on all activities associated with cyber security and risk. Supports the ongoing advancements in technologies to alert and respond to the evolving cyber threat landscape.
- Directs the design and implementation of the information technology and management operating model, organizational structure, and governance process. Uses influencing and negotiation skills to create synergies across the Firm to establish cost-effective and innovative shared solutions to achieve business goals.
- Collaborates with executive leadership and partners to define and execute the digital business strategy. Participates in and contributes to the assessment of external digital opportunities and threats, and internal technology capabilities required to achieve desired competitive positioning.
- Maintains currency on new technologies and platforms. Provides direction on what emerging technologies should be integrated and introduced within the enterprise to ensure capabilities respond to the needs of the Firm’s business strategy. Provides strategic direction in the Firm’s innovation efforts to take advantage of these opportunities.
- Provides strategic direction and oversight for the design, development, operation and support of information technology systems and programs that fulfill the needs of the business, including enterprise architecture management, application management, security and risk management, and infrastructure and operations support management.
- Develops and controls annual operating and capital expense budgets and associated services to ensure the investment in technologies is consistent with the Firm’s overall strategic objectives and is within plan.
- Enhances capabilities by leveraging a multitude of resources, both internally and externally. Directs the development of the technology sourcing strategy and provides executive oversight for strategic vendor and partner relationship management.
- Engages and works with Human Resources and key stakeholders to map out scenarios for workforce transformations. Develops the workforce strategy and action plans that align with and enable the execution of the business and its technology strategies.
- Develops and maintains a workforce with the appropriate mix of business knowledge, technical skills and competencies. Balances the need for growing the agility required to achieve digital business objectives, with ensuring the core technology functions are reliable, stable and efficient.
- Leads the establishment and execution of a digital workplace strategy that enables the development of digital dexterity in the workforce. Ensures employees have the tools and work environment to be more engaged, productive and effective.
- Participates and partners with the Firmwide operations leadership team to drive culture change in support of business transformation.
- Drives the development of enterprise technology standards, governance processes and performance metrics to ensure the information technology function delivers value to the Firm, while managing risks through the effective design and delivery of information technology capabilities.
- Provides leadership, coaching and direction to the information technology leadership team and staff.
- Other duties as required to fully meet the needs of the position.
Experience & Qualifications :
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in computer science, management information systems, IT management, preferred.
- 15+ years’ of experience in information technology.
- Seven to ten years of leadership responsibilities.
- Preferably five or more years of experience in the legal industry or more generally the professional service sector leading large cross-functional teams, enterprise wide programs, influencing senior-level management and key stakeholders effectively across highly matrixed organizations.
- Demonstrated experience in strategy and strategic planning, organization design and development.
- Proven experience in leading large, complex and/or complex digital or other transformational initiatives in dynamic environments.
- Exceptional leadership skills with the ability to develop and communicate vision that inspires and motivates staff.
- Ability to effectively communicate and instill confidence with peers and key stakeholders.
- Effective influencing and negotiation skills in an environment where resources may not be in direct control of this role.
- Excellent analytical, strategic conceptual thinking, strategic planning and execution skills.
- Strong business acumen including legal industry knowledge of the enterprise and its business units.
- Expertise in budget planning and financial management.
- Deep understanding of current and emerging technologies and how other enterprises are employing them to drive digital business and how they may be applied to the enterprise to drive business.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and execute a strategic people plan that ensures the right people are in the right roles at the right time and that employees are highly engaged and satisfied.
- Ability to manage geographically diverse teams and overcome cultural issues that may arise.
- Ability to identify and leverage resources internally and externally to the enterprise to enhance capabilities that drive business.
- Ability to drive organizational change and build capabilities that effectively balance the needs for continuously exploiting capabilities to optimize operational efficiency.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to explain digital concepts and technologies to business leaders and business concepts to the information technology workforce.
- Ability to set clear and challenging goals while committing the organization to improve performance.
- Comfortable with ambiguity and uncertainty and the ability to adapt and lead others through complex situations.
- A leader who is viewed by others as having a high degree of integrity and forethought in approaching decisions and the ability to act in a transparent and consistent manner while always taking into account what is best for the organization.
- Ability to attract and recruit top talent, motivate the team, delegate effectively, celebrate diversity within the team, and manage performance.
- Ability to persevere in the face of challenges, finding alternative ways of achieving goals.
- Steadfast resolve and commitment to higher standards; continuous improvement.
- Leads by example and drives organizational performance by being open to feedback and self-improvement
- Naturally connects and builds strong relationships with others, demonstrating strong emotional intelligence and an ability to communicate clearly and persuasively.
- Ability to inspire trust in others through compelling influence, powerful charisma, passion in believes, and active drive.
- Encourages others to share the spotlight, visibly celebrates and supports team successes.
Benefits we offer
- Join a firm that is recognized as one of the top 100 employers in Canada (2023)!
- Competitive salary and benefits package
- Generous allowance of flex and vacation days
- RRSP matching program
- Opportunities for professional growth
- Short and long term disability insurance
- Subsidized fitness program
- Various social events and activities throughout the year
- Flexible work arrangements
*We thank all applicants who apply, however only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Equal Opportunity Statement
At Dentons Canada, inclusion, diversity and equity (ID&E) are not just ancillary values, they are foundational to our business. We believe that ID&E is essential to the shared success of our team and our clients. Our forward-thinking and inclusive culture supports the professional development of all our people, enhances the leading services we offer to our clients, and informs our commitment to make a positive impact in the communities where we live and work. As a testament to our commitment to ID&E, we have been recognized as one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employer’s for 12 consecutive years (2011-2022), as well as one of Canada’s Top Employers for Young People (2022) for the fifth time.
Dentons Canada is an equal opportunity employer and we welcome your application. All employment decisions, including hiring, will be made without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship, colour, creed, disability, ethnic origin, family status, gender assigned at birth, gender identity, marital status, place of origin, race, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by applicable human rights legislation.
We are committed to providing you with an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible workplace to support your success. Should you require accommodation during the recruitment process, for example as a result of a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.