New Grad: Product Engineer (Photonics)
City : Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Category : Engineering
Industry : Telecommunications
Employer : Ciena
Ciena is committed to our people-first philosophy. Our teams enjoy a culture focused on prioritizing a personalized and flexible work environment that empowers an individual’s passions, growth, wellbeing and belonging. We’re a technology company that leads with our humanity—driving our business priorities alongside meaningful social, community, and societal impact.
As a Photonics Product Engineer in the Chip Engineering group, you will be supporting the development and troubleshooting some of the most advanced photonics chips in the world. Collaborating with other teams in Ottawa, Quebec City and at our manufacturing sites in Asia, you will be driving sustainability product engineering tasks that will have a direct impact on the factory floor.
- Supporting and owning wafer backend process flow which will include bumping and flip chip packaging of InP die on carrier for our WaveLogic 6 products
- Driving prototype assembly builds for Reliability, Process Development and Test Validation
- Debug and investigate any package or performance related issues and feedback to Package and Reliability leads
- Participate and collaborate on Flip Chip Carrier designs
- Monitoring, reporting, and driving yield improvement at the manufacturing assembly site and from wafer foundry partner
- Statistical analysis of data for NPI and Production. Recommending and setting specification limits for both ATE and Wafer Processing and observing trends in performance over time and variance
- Documenting new processes and work instructions from R&D to the Production line
- Evaluate foundry process variances and product up-revisions initiated by the design team
- Working seamlessly with Ciena InP Chip Design and Test, Package, Product and Reliability Engineers
- Bachelor’s or Masters (preferred) Degree in Electrical Engineering or Science. Focus in Semiconductor Physics, Engineering Physics or Photonics is preferred
- Hands on experience with Photonics Flip Chip Packaging and Assembly
- Ability to effectively work in a fast-paced environment and switch priorities based on business requirements
- Must have experience working in a lab environment with optical and/or RF technology through research or co-op placements
- Strong data analytical skills and able to effectively communicate findings by reporting or presenting to extended teams
- Depending on candidate’s skill set and preferences, the role may include occasional travel to Asia
At Ciena, we are committed to building and fostering an environment in which our employees feel respected, valued, and heard. Ciena values the diversity of its workforce and respects its employees as individuals. We do not tolerate any form of discrimination.
If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, please advise Ciena of any accommodation measures you may require.