Museum Guide (part-time) (Ottawa (Downtown), ON, CA)
City : Ottawa
Category : Other
Industry : Banking/Financial
Employer : Bank of Canada
Museum Guide (part-time)
Take a central role
The Bank of Canada has a vision to be a leading central bank—dynamic, engaged and trusted—committed to a better Canada. No other employer in the country offers you the unique opportunity to work at the very center of Canada’s economy, in an organization with significant impact on the economic and financial well-being of all Canadians. You will be challenged, energized and motivated to excel in our environment.
Building on the principles that have always guided us – excellence, integrity and respect – we strive to be forward-looking and innovative, to welcome people with diverse perspectives and talents, and to earn trust by living up to our commitments and by clearly explaining the intent of our policies and actions.
With our defined-benefit pension plan, benefits, and high flexibility for work life balance - find out more about why we are annually ranked as one of Canada's top employers: Working Here - Bank of Canada
Find out more about the next steps in our Recruitment process.
Did you know?
The Bank of Canada Museum is both a traditional museum and an interpretive centre blending history, art, science… and fun! As a public outreach arm of the Bank’s Communications department, the Museum has a mission to clarify for Canadians the key functions of the institution. In addition, through the National Currency Collection the Museum interprets our monetary heritage, both Canadian and international. Educational programming is also a key initiative.
What you will do
You provide high-quality service to visitors at the Museum. Under the supervision of the Manager, Visitor Services, you contribute to the mandate of the Museum by offering public activities for visitors, such as guided tours and school visits. In addition, you participate in the development and execution of scheduled Museum activities.
NOTE - Candidates must be available to work a minimum of 14 hours and a maximum of 37.5 hours per week from 9:30 am to 5:00 pm, time may vary (Monday to Sunday), including holidays. Preference will be given to candidates who are available to work weekends. Evening shift availability may be requested for special events.
More specifically you will:
- meet and greet visitors at the front desk, answer questions about all aspects of the Museum and gather visitor data
- raise public awareness of the roles and responsibilities of the Central Bank
- interpret history and the themes of the Museum through dialogue with visitors
- facilitate guided tours, family activities at special events and school programs in person and virtually
- assist in the Museum boutique
- work on various visitor services projects as required
What you will need to succeed
- strong communication and presentation skills, both virtually and in-person in front of audiences
- proven interpersonal skills with the ability to be a great teammate
- ability to creatively and enthusiastically engage with visitors, while confidently presenting information to groups of varying sizes and backgrounds
- ability to quickly build an understanding of the Museums history, heritage, and mission
- experience providing exceptional customer service by addressing questions, providing assistance, and ensuring guest comfort and satisfaction
- knowledge of the Bank of Canada
- experience in Museology or Education
- experience using virtual presentation platforms
- previous experience in Customer Service/Guest Services
Your education and experience
This position requires one to two years of relevant work experience with the public, preferably in museum or education (i.e., as a guide, interpreter or teacher)
Please note that this poster may be used to fill several positions throughout the posting period.
What you need to know
- Language requirement: English and French essential (bilingual) with a minimum starting level of functional (level 4) in second official language. Training may be provided to help reach the required level of fully functional (level 5) in second official language.
- Priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents
- Security level required: Be eligible to obtain Reliability
- There will be no relocation assistance provided
- Please save a copy of the job poster. Once the closing date has passed, it will no longer be available.
What you can expect from us
This is a great opportunity to join a leading organization and be part of a high-performing team.
- Salaries are based on qualifications and experience and typically range from $25.90 to $28.78 (job grade 10)
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.