City : ONTARIO
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Mining Hydrogeologist - ( 220001AS )
Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We’re a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that’s critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
Who Are We?
Stantec is focused on growing our mining sector team in central Canada. We currently provide a comprehensive suite of services to mining clients through all stages of project assessment and resource development, project approvals, operations support and closure/reclamation. Our highly professional team focusses on providing tailored, innovative approaches to development and operation of successful projects based on listening carefully to our clients and integrating our mining sector knowledge and the expertise of our team. We are currently seeking a Senior Hydrogeologist to join our Environmental Services team. This position has the opportunity to work remotely anywhere within Canada; however, many of the sites are within Ontario. We are looking for someone who is enthusiastic and ready to engage in providing our clients high-quality solutions while learning and growing both as an individual and as part of a team.
As a Senior Hydrogeologist, you will play a key role in a wide variety of mining projects and must be able to work within multi-disciplinary teams on baseline and impact assessment projects, feasibility studies, hydrogeologic assessments and contaminant investigations, and rehabilitation projects. The role will involve managing a multi-discipline scope of work within a team of hydrologists, hydrogeologists, and geochemists and interacting directly with clients. Strong quantitative hydrogeology skills are required with the ability to interact with groundwater modeling and geochemical specialists.
Why Choose Stantec?
Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our team of geologists, hydrogeologists and geochemists lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We’re a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that’s critical to our clients and the communities they support.
Our people are at the core of everything we do. Driven by a culture of inclusion, we offer employee resource groups, growth opportunities, and flexible work arrangements. We understand that the tools for success look different for everyone, and we’re committed to providing each employee with the support and flexibility they need to thrive.
Stantec supports your career growth with:
- Flexible and remote or in-office work arrangements. Our geologists, hydrogeologists and geochemists supporting mining sit in multiple offices and are not tied solely to locations in large cities. This position can accommodate your preference for at-home or in-office work arrangements or a combination of both.
- Excellent and comprehensive benefits for healthcare and dental.
- Wellness plans to support mental, physical, social and financial well-being.
- Registered retirement savings plan and employee stock purchase plan, both with employer contributions.
- Formalized career planning and development process.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Prepare proposals, develop work plans and budgets and management of projects/tasks
- Develop preliminary conceptual hydrogeological models to support field program design.
- Design and oversee implementation of hydrogeology field investigations including drilling and logging of overburden and bedrock core, sampling of soil and bedrock.
- Complete laboratory and field investigations following applicable regulatory guidelines (e.g. the Mine Environment Neutral Drainage (MEND) guidelines, Metal and Diamond Mining Effluent Regulations, Ontario Regulation 240/00, etc)
- Support development of fate and transport models to support environmental impact assessments, remedial evaluations and risk assessments
- Work with multi-disciplinary teams on baseline and impact assessment projects, feasibility studies, groundwater and surface water assessments and contaminant investigations, and rehabilitation projects
- Follow safe work practices and adhere to company and client guidelines and policies for planning and executing work in a safe manner
- Prepare technical reports and client presentations summarizing project work, findings and recommendations
- Travel as required to various field sites with overnight travel sometimes required
- Demonstrate sound understanding and application of established practices, standards and guidelines
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Ability to meet a strong demand for high-quality, organized and consistent results
- Confident individual who demonstrates strong initiative and is capable of independent action with the ability to make informed decisions
- Strong business development, client management, communication, and financial management skills are essential
- Excellent communication, teamwork and mentorship skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and advanced technical report writing skills
- Time management – balancing immediate and long-term work with varying priorities and deadlines
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Possess strong problem-solving skills and ability to make timely decisions
- Possess a strong knowledge of Ontario and federal mining-related water resources acts, regulations, policies and guidance and knowledge of mineral exploration methods, mine waste disposal methods and mineral processing methods
- Valid G driver’s license is required for business travel
- Experience with numerical groundwater flow and transport modeling is considered an asset
Education and Experience
- Graduate degree from a Geoscience or Engineering program, with an emphasis on hydrogeology
- 5 years of mining related hydrogeological experience
- Existing professional registration or ability to work towards a professional registration (P.Geo. or P.Eng.)
- Minimum of a Master’s degree specializing in hydrogeology from a Geoscience or Engineering program
- 10 years of mining related hydrogeological experience
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Primary Location : Canada-Ontario-Waterloo
Other Locations : Canada-Ontario
Job : Hydrogeologist
Organization : BC-1609 Environmental Services-CA Ontario West
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Mar 31, 2022, 6:10:24 AM
Req ID: 220001AS
Vaccine Policy: Stantec requires some positions in North America to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 subject to reasonable accommodation to the extent required by law because of a medical reason or a sincerely held religious belief.
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans