Mine Water Engineer/Geoscientist
City : Stoney Creek
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Mine Water Engineer/Geoscientist - ( 210002ZP )
At our core, we’re a community. Together, we exercise creative thought, developing science, engineering, and designs as individual as the people and projects we touch. From approval and permitting to design and construction management services, we put the goals of our clients and their communities at the center of everything we create. Join us as we assist our clients to develop projects that reduce their impacts and protect water resources.
Stantec is focused on growing our mining sector team in central Canada. We currently provide a comprehensive suite of services to mining clients through all stages of project assessment and resource development, project approvals, operations support and closure/reclamation. Our highly professional team focusses on providing tailored, innovative approaches to development and operation of successful projects based on listening carefully to our clients and integrating the tremendous mining sector knowledge and expertise of our team. We are currently seeking a Mine Water Engineer or Geoscientist to join our Environmental Services team. This position has the opportunity to work remotely anywhere within Canada, however with a preference to Ontario offices (including Waterloo, Mississauga, Markham, Stoney Creek). We are looking for someone who is enthusiastic and ready to engage in providing our clients high-quality solutions while learning and growing both as an individual and as part of a team.
As a Mine Water Engineer or Geoscientist, you will play a key role in a wide variety of mining projects related to geochemistry and water balance/quality modelling. The successful candidate will be responsible for leading the delivery of permitting and regulatory compliance solutions as well as detailed engineering design and construction support. The role will involve managing a multi-discipline scope of work and interacting directly with clients.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Responsibilities are anticipated to include but are not limited to the following
- Follow safe work practices and adhere to company and client guidelines and policies for planning and executing work in a safe manner
- Preparing proposals, developing work plans and budgets and management of projects/tasks
- Planning, coordination, and support for the execution of sampling programs following the Mine Environment Neutral Drainage (MEND) guidelines
- Developing conceptual and analytical geochemical, water balance, and water quality models
- Review field information from investigations; preparation of reports including the interpretation of geological/geochemical conditions
- Interpret geochemical test results including static (acid base accounting, metal leaching) and kinetic (humidity cells and field bins) data
- Work with multi-disciplinary teams on baseline and impact assessment projects, feasibility studies, groundwater and surface water assessments and contaminant investigations, and rehabilitation projects
- Prepare technical reports and client presentations summarizing project work, findings and recommendations
- Travel as required to various field sites with overnight travel sometimes required
- Demonstrate sound application of established practices, standards and guidelines
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Ability to meet a strong demand for high-quality, organized and consistent results
- Confident individual who demonstrates strong initiative and is capable of independent action with the ability to make informed decisions
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and advanced technical report writing skills
- Time management – balancing immediate and long-term work with varying priorities and deadlines
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Possess strong problem-solving skills and ability to make timely decisions
- Valid driver’s license is required for business travel
- Possess a working knowledge of various software for undertaking geochemical and water quantity/quality assessments (e.g. GoldSim, PHREEQC, or equivalent)
- Possess a strong knowledge of Ontario and federal mining-related water resources acts, regulations, policies and guidance
- Experience in geochemistry and water balance/quality related to evaluating metal leaching potential and acid rock drainage (ML/ARD), estimating the quality of mine-water discharge for open pit/underground mine operations, pit lake chemistry, and groundwater chemistry for mine contamination projects
Education and Experience
- Minimum of a Master’s degree specializing in geochemistry from a Geoscience or Engineering program
- 5 years of relevant working experience in consulting or regulatory environment, regularly using and analyzing geochemistry data
- Existing professional registration or ability to work towards a professional registration (P.Geo. or P.Eng.)
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Primary Location : Canada-Ontario-Waterloo
Other Locations : Canada-Ontario-Stoney Creek, Canada-Ontario-Markham, Canada-Ontario-Mississauga
Job : Scientist
Organization : BC-1609 Environmental Services-CA Ontario West
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : No
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Nov 25, 2021, 12:11:38 PM
Req ID: 210002ZP
Vaccine Policy: Stantec requires some positions in North America to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 subject to reasonable accommodation to the extent required by law because of a medical reason or a sincerely held religious belief.
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans