City : Labrador, NL, CAN
Category : See posting
Industry : Mining and Quarrying
Employer : Vale
Job Title: Mine Planner
Want to work in a leading-edge underground mine?
Who We Are
Welcome to Vale. Our purpose is to improve life and transform the future. Together. We value our workforce and strive to offer continuous training and career development opportunities for our people.
Vale Base Metals is one of the world's largest producers of high-quality nickel and an important producer of copper and responsibly sourced cobalt. With headquarters in Toronto, Canada, and operations in Newfoundland & Labrador, Ontario, Manitoba, UK, Indonesia, and Brazil, we are delivering the critical building blocks for a cleaner, greener future.
Applying the latest technologies to sustainably mine the critical minerals that power electric vehicles, build renewable energy solutions, and help develop life-saving medical equipment is at the heart of what we do.
We invite you to be part of our evolution.
Our Newfoundland and Labrador Operations are an integrated mining, milling, and processing operation. Nickel concentrate from the fly-in, fly-out Voisey’s Bay operation is shipped to our state-of-art Long Harbour Processing Plant where it is refined into low-carbon and high-purity nickel rounds, cobalt rounds and copper cathodes.
Vale recognizes the Impacts and Benefits Agreements with the Innu Nation and the Nunatsiavut Government in which Innu and Inuit workers have first preference for employment at the Voisey’s Bay Mine Site. This is guided by an adjacency principle that first gives preference to those who live on the coast of Labrador, followed by those residing in the rest of Labrador, those residing on the island of the province, followed by the rest of Canada.
Next, priority will be given to Newfoundland and Labrador residents. We also welcome those who are willing to relocate back home and those looking to make NL their permanent home.
We are currently seeking a Mine Planner to join our Mines Technical Services department in St. John’s, NL. This is a permanent position.
This position will be based in the St. John’s office working a Monday to Friday schedule, with travel to the Voisey’s Bay Mine Site as required.
Reporting to the Divisional Supervisor, the Mine Planner is to provide mine engineering services as required for the mine department in a cost effective and timely manner. The Mine Planner has accountability for providing high quality mining engineering services to the operating mine in support of safe, optimized and sustainable ore extraction.
Additionally, in this position, you will:
- Design underground stopes using the Deswik mine design software.
- Produce and issue packages for all stoping activities including ITH drilling, blasting and backfilling.
- Create development designs for level development, ramp development, and raise development required to safely excavate the ore.
- Collect, document, and assess engineering data within the mine, specifically responsible for the short term mine planning.
- Develop the plan that will be followed to mine the deposit. Using the orebody model of the deposit created by the Geology team, the Mine Planner designs the underground mine, decides what methods and equipment will be used for accessing and extracting ore and waste material and provide a schedule for the removal of this material.
- Ensure safety is first and foremost in all aspects of planning by using applicable standards and guidelines.
- Provide input for cost development and life of mine scheduling.
- Communicate the mine plan to the mine operations group, providing technical assistance as required.
- An undergraduate degree in Mining Engineering or Diploma in Mining Technology.
- Eligible for registration as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) in Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Mining Engineer-in-Training (EIT) applications are also welcome.
- A minimum of 3-4 years’ experience in an underground mining with a preferred focus on mine production planning and mine engineering.
- Technical knowledge in planning, surveying, backfill, blasting, ventilation, incentives, rock mechanics.
- Knowledgeable with applicable safety and mining regulations and procedures.
- Expert in various computer applications, specifically Deswik, Datamine, Word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc.
- Experience with budgeting and cost forecasting.
- Experience in underground mine operations and mine design.
What We Offer You
- Competitive salary and on-site premiums
- Opportunity to earn an annual Employee Bonus
- Attractive pension and benefits (company paid core coverage, flex health and dental coverage, flex accounts, disability plans, and optional insurances)
- Leave for all of life’s reasons (vacation, sick, top up for maternity/parental)
- All Personal Protective Equipment is provided upon hire. Employees are given a safety boot allowance and receive a 100% reimbursement for prescription safety glasses
- Employee Family Assistance ProgramWork culture dedicated to safety, diversity & inclusion, and career growth
- Opportunities to grow your career in a large global company, and mining industry leader
- Online training and career development opportunities
Include to Transform
At Vale, we are committed to ensuring an inclusive work environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. Vale encourages everyone to express their ideas and opinions and values the plurality of individual profiles. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are critical to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation, or any other personal consideration that makes us different.
Vale is an equal opportunity employer seeking to increase diversity across our operations and improve equal opportunity at Vale and in the mining industry.
Interested applicants must submit their application online at https://vale.eightfold.ai/careers. Innu Nation members and Nunatsiavut beneficiaries can also submit their application to their Vale Aboriginal Employment Coordinator.
Accommodation is available throughout our recruitment process for applicants with disabilities. If you require a specific accommodation to enable you participate in our recruitment process, please email us at email@example.com.
Pay Grade: F6T
Apply by: Thursday, February 29th, 2024