Member Services Specialist
City : Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Category : Full time
Industry : Public Services/Utilities
Employer : Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan (HOOPP)
Why you’ll love working here:
high-performance, people-focused culture
our commitment that equity, diversity, and inclusion are fundamental to our work environment and business success, which helps employees feel valued and empowered to be their authentic selves
learning and development initiatives, including workshops, Speaker Series events and access to LinkedIn Learning, that support employees’ career growth
membership in HOOPP’s world class defined benefit pension plan, which can serve as an important part of your retirement security
competitive, 100% company-paid extended health and dental benefits for permanent employees, including coverage supporting our team's diversity and mental health (e.g., gender affirmation, fertility and drug treatment, psychological support benefits of $2,500 per year, and newly extended maternity/parental leave top of 26 weeks)
optional post-retirement health and dental benefits subsidized at 50%
yoga classes, meditation workshops, nutritional consultations, and wellness seminars
access to an annual wellness reimbursement program for health and wellness-related expenses for permanent and temporary employees
the opportunity to make a difference and help take care of those who care for us, by providing a financially secure retirement for Ontario healthcare workers
The Member Services team within Client Services provides excellent service to HOOPP members, answering questions and concerns, educating them on their benefits and helping them to solve issues relating to their pension. The Member Services Specialist position is the face and voice of HOOPP, providing members with accurate, relevant, and timely information about their pension benefits and assisting members through personal life events. The servicing of HOOPP's members includes responding to queries, processing event transactions, and following up on expected or outstanding member related information. Responsibilities also include actively monitoring the phone and work queues and ensure incoming phone calls and work are addressed in a timely manner.
What you will do:
- As a front-line service provider, provide relevant, prompt, and accurate information in a professional and courteous manner. Service delivery channels include phone, secure e-mail, mail, and fax.
- Build and maintain professional relationships with members by managing requests and educating members on various options to assist with decision making regarding their transaction.
- Process event-related transactions (e.g. retirement, terminations, buybacks etc.). This includes:
- Reviewing all aspects of a member's incoming file, including reaching out to the member for clarity/questions
- Being pro-active with respect to keeping a member's file up to date, e.g. update contact information on file if it is incorrect
- Following up with members, in accordance with service level guidelines, regarding expected or outstanding information
- Building a trusted relationship with the member and being their HOOPP Service Specialist for the duration of the transaction
- Working collaboratively with other team members and departments
- Assuming accountability for member transactions, seeing the transaction through to completion
- Consult with internal business partners about sensitive and complex issues and escalate issues for resolution as appropriate.
- Manage the member experience by monitoring outstanding member inquiries and proactively following up to ensure timely resolution.
- Educate members about the value of HOOPP and advocate for the defined benefits pension.
- Maintain accuracy rates and conduct quality verification as defined in department standards.
- Contribute to Client Services' objective of providing outstanding, quality service to members while functioning as an effective team player. This includes, but is not limited to:
- integrating and training new staff members
- participating in team meetings, training, and events
- being responsible for processing own workload
- when required, supporting other areas in Client Services to collectively ensure that there is sufficient coverage to handle member inquiries
- performing additional tasks, within the scope of the position, as required
- remaining current on HOOPP's programs and services though on-going training
What you bring:
- Completed College Diploma or University Degree (emphasis in Finance or business an asset).
- 5 years related service experience in the pension/insurance/financial services industry in a team environment.
- Completion of Pension Plan Administration Certificate (PPAC) and Certified Employee Benefit Specialist Program (CEBS) are considered an asset.
- Bilingual (French) an asset
- Client service oriented
- Encompass all HOOPP's core values
- Strong communication skills (both verbal and written) and an ability to communicate complex information clearly and at a level appropriate for the client.
- Work collaboratively with team members to achieve shared goals
- Strong interpersonal, relationship-building skills
- Strong decision-making skills are required with sound judgement, prudence and integrity
- Effective conflict resolution skills that will be used when dealing with both internal and external clients.
- Excellent time management skills: ability to plan, and prioritize workload as well as adaptability to a changing multi-tasked environment
- Logical and detailed oriented
- Ability to effectively identify and address difficult situations with tact and diplomacy. Use analytical skills to understand client matters/issues and take appropriate action
- Identify service or process opportunities that will enhance the client experience