Mechanical Engineering Technologist Student – Buildings (Summer 2023)
City : KELOWNA
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Mechanical Engineering Technologist Student - Buildings (Summer 2023) - ( 230000CP )
The buildings that make up the landscape of our daily lives seem like permanent fixtures, fastened to a time and place. But what if that didn’t have to be true? What if our built environment — where we live, learn, play, and conduct business — carried us forward instead?
Our Buildings practice keeps people at its heart, recognizing that our shared journey forward is shaped by the meaningful and responsive places we design. From iconic designs to monumental groundbreakings, join us to bring transformational building solutions to life. Every day we apply our expertise, creativity, and passion to propel communities into the future—join us!
We have an opportunity for an Intern Mechanical Engineering Technologist (4 Month Term) to join our Kelowna Buildings group.
Your Key Responsibilities
- As the successful candidate your responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Prepare contract drawings, schematics, schedules, details, and sketches from conceptual design through to construction.
- Produce aspects of mechanical design and drawings in Autodesk Revit® and AutoCAD.
- Assist in the design of building related mechanical systems including HVAC, Plumbing, and Fire Protection systems across Canada using applicable codes, standards, and reference materials.
- Review equipment selections, perform preliminary engineering calculations, and develop preliminary designs.
- Facilitate and ensure the quality of the project deliverables.
- Follow production guidelines and project standards in the department drafting standards manual.
- Review shop drawings and other contractor submittals for compliance with construction documents.
- Perform field surveys for drawing developments, site reviews, and record drawings.
- Communicate with other team members and become familiar with Stantec standards.
- Complete assignments and projects in a timely manner as required by the Job Captain or supervisor.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Knowledge or familiarity using Autodesk Revit® and AutoCAD software in drafting and design of buildings related projects would be considered an asset.
- Knowledge or experience with building mechanical systems would be considered an asset.
- Prior experience in the construction industry would be considered an asset.
- Knowledge or familiarity with National and British Columbia Building Codes, plumbing codes, fire codes, and energy codes would be considered an asset.
- Knowledge or familiarity with LEED standards, ASHRAE, ASPE, and NFPA would be considered an asset.
- Excellent verbal and written skills to communicate effectively with colleagues and staff; a “team player” approach.
- Self-motivated and self-starter with a strong work ethic.
- Good time management skills and able to work in a fast-paced work environment.
- Eager to learn with strong listening and critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
Education and Experience
Working towards a diploma as an Architectural and Engineering Technologist from a reputable Canadian University or College and will complete 2nd or 3rd year of engineering technology as of May 2023 and is available for a 4-month internship.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s’ talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Primary Location : Canada-British Columbia-Kelowna
Organization : BC-1156 Buildings-CA British Columbia
Employee Status : Temporary
Job Level : Entry Level
Travel : No
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Jan 27, 2023, 10:55:00 AM
Req ID: 230000CP
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans