Mechanical Engineering Co-op – Buildings (Summer 2024) – 12 months
City : EDMONTON
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Mechanical Engineering Co-op - Buildings (Summer 2024) - 12 months - ( 230004E3 )
Stantec Buildings is on a mission to become the world’s leading integrated design practice. Our architects, engineers, interior designers, sustainability specialists, and technologists are passionate about the power of design. We take an innovative, collaborative approach to projects, sharing a common belief that sustainable design for the built environment can make the world a better place for future generations. Join us and design your place with Stantec.
We have an opportunity for an Intern Mechanical Engineer (12 Month Term) to join our Buildings group.
Your Key Responsibilities
As the successful candidate, your responsibilities will include:
- Prepare contract drawings, schematics, schedules, details, and sketches from conceptual design through to construction.
- Produce aspects of mechanical design and drawings in REVIT, as well as in AutoCAD.
- Assist in the design of building related mechanical systems including HVAC, Plumbing and Fire Protection systems across Canada using applicable codes, standards, and reference materials.
- Review equipment selections, perform preliminary engineering calculations, and develop preliminary designs.
- Facilitate and ensure the quality of the project deliverables.
- Follow production guidelines and project standards in the department drafting standards manual.
- Review shop drawings and other contractor submittals for compliance with construction documents.
- Perform field surveys for drawing developments, site reviews and as recorded drawings.
- Communicate with other team members and become familiar with Stantec standards. To complete assignments and projects in a timely manner as required by the Job Captain or supervisor.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Knowledge or familiarity using Autodesk Revit® and AutoCAD software in drafting and design of buildings related projects would be an asset.
- Knowledge or experience with building mechanical systems would be an asset.
- Knowledge or familiarity with National and Alberta Building Codes, plumbing codes, fire codes, energy codes and would be considered an asset.
- Knowledge or familiarity with LEED standards, ASHRAE, ASPE and NFPA would be considered an asset.
- Excellent verbal and written skills to communicate effectively with colleagues and staff; a “team player” approach.
- Self-motivated and self-starter with a strong work ethic.
- Good time management skills and able to work in a fast-paced work environment.
- Eager to learn with strong listening and critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
Education and Experience
- Working towards a degree as a Mechanical Engineer from a reputable Canadian University and is available for a 12-month internship.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best. #DesignYourPlace
Benefits Summary: Regular full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
The benefits information listed above may not apply to union positions because benefits for such positions are governed by applicable collective bargaining agreements.
Primary Location : Canada-Alberta-Edmonton
Work Locations :
Organization : BC-1153 Buildings-CA Alberta
Employee Status : Temporary
Job Level : Entry Level
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Nov 3, 2023, 12:18:40 PM
Req ID: 230004E3
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans