Mechanical Engineer in Training (EIT)
City : DARTMOUTH
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Mechanical Engineer in Training (EIT) - ( 240000L6 )
Join a team that does more than generate and deliver through its work; join a team that powers growth and advances communities. Seeing beyond the project at hand, you’ll work with us to advance the industry and build your career. We operate with the strength of a $12B company and have the agility of a specialized energy group, and work on some of the most challenging and cutting-edge projects around the world. Whether helping to design facility expansions or pushing the boundaries on clean energy, you’ll find yourself working with leaders in oil & gas, thermal generation, transmission & distribution, and renewable energy in one of the world’s top 10 design firms, broadening your skills and developing your career.
As a Mechanical Engineer in Training (EIT) you will work with close guidance and supervision on tasks and smaller projects, and as a team member of larger projects under the guidance of senior engineers/designers in the Pulp and Paper, Wood Composites, Oil and Gas, Power and Utilities, and Food sectors. You will participate in the evaluation, recommendation, and specification of engineered systems or products for a project. You will assist in verifying compliance with applicable codes and engineering standards/practices.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Conducts basic interpretations of drawings, codes, and other similar materials.
- Apply basic understanding of heavy industrial systems and power generation process.
- Perform design for the mechanical discipline team using engineering knowledge and relevant software programs.
- Perform basic calculations to analyze and design individual mechanical system components using company standard software and proprietary manufacturer software.
- Work with other engineering disciplines and professionals in the coordination of projects under the direction of a senior engineer/ designer.
- Complete required mechanical calculations for equipment sizing, material selection, etc.
- Draft basic technical documents under the direction of a senior engineer/ designer.
- Perform field work as directed by a senior engineer/ designer.
- Assist with basic engineering duties on projects of various complexity.
- Assist with collecting data and gathering information to support design decisions.
- Work as a contributing team member within a multi-discipline team.
- Understand and work within Stantec's quality control guidelines.
- Comply with Stantec's EH&S program, with a focus on safety in the field.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the senior engineering staff.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Ability to participate and collaborate in project team setting and to engage in creative and critical thought.
- Understanding of mechanical engineering concepts and ability to effectively communicate ideas to others.
- Ability to interpret sketches, drawings, industry codes, and other similar material.
- Ability to take direction, follow process and accept feedback and suggestions from senior engineers/designers.
- Skilled at conducting preliminary research.
- Field experience is considered an asset.
- Sound technical skills, with focus on accurate design calculations and analysis.
- Strong desire to learn and work in a team environment.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Willingness to work on multiple jobs/projects at one time.
- Knowledge of and ability to use standard computer applications including, but not limited to Microsoft Office Suite.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering
- Engineer-in-Training (EIT) Designation or Certificate or the ability to register as an EIT.
- Co-op/Internship experience preferred.
- Minimum of 0-2 years of experience.
Typical office environment working with computers for long periods of time. Our office workstation desks are typically fully adjustable sit-to-stand type for optimal ergonomics. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Benefits Summary: Regular full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
The benefits information listed above may not apply to union positions because benefits for such positions are governed by applicable collective bargaining agreements.
Primary Location : Canada-Nova Scotia-Dartmouth
Organization : BC-1335 Energy-CA Atlantic
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Entry Level
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Feb 8, 2024, 12:59:19 PM
Req ID: 240000L6
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans