City : WINNIPEG
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Materials Technologist - ( 230000SX )
Build the foundation for a lasting and successful career in geotechnical construction materials testing and inspection by starting with a good team. From field and laboratory testing, forensic investigation, to geotechnical drilling and pile installation monitoring on vast array of construction projects in all industry sectors, our team does work that’s rock solid. We perform quality assurance and quality control services on new and rehabilitation commercial and infrastructure projects. We push the boundaries as leaders and experts in our field and encourage our fellow team members to do the same. Join our team today!
The Stantec Geotechnical Group in Winnipeg, MB is seeking two Materials Testing Technicians/Technologists to work in our materials and geotechnical laboratory. This position will act as support to both our field and laboratory operations in construction materials testing & inspection services. If you are an excellent communicator, enjoy independent and team environments, the opportunity to mentor junior staff, and are driven by providing high-level quality deliverables on a variety of geotechnical project settings, this is a great role for you. Apply now and redefine your personal best!
Your Key Responsibilities
- Perform construction materials testing & inspection services on concrete, mortar, asphalt, aggregate, and soils in field and laboratory settings, including but not limited to:
+ Fresh and hardened concrete monitoring and testing
+ Fill placement and compaction monitoring and testing
+ Deep and shallow foundation construction
+ Pile inspection and monitoring
+ Forensic investigation of concrete structures
+ Assisting in resolution of technical issues on construction sites
- Preparation and testing of concrete and asphalt mix designs
- Participate in proficiency testing ensuring accurate testing and reporting of results
- Interacting with suppliers/producers, contractors, consultants, and owners, both in the private and public sector
- Operating and maintaining fleet vehicle
- Operating computerized and digital testing equipment
- Operating and maintaining moisture-density gauges (class 7 radioactive dangerous good)
- Continuing to improve your technical abilities and certifications within the framework of the laboratory and field areas of practice
- Preparation of field and laboratory test reports
- Capable of lifting 25 kg test samples as required by the applicable test procedure
- Capable of lifting heavy equipment as required while performing field testing and inspection
- Promotion of our health and safety culture, client relations, training and mentoring of junior staff, equipment resources maintenance and management, and other related duties will be expected
The successful candidate will join our group of over 25 geotechnical professionals in Winnipeg and receive mentorship and training from our experienced team of technologists, engineers-in-training, and professional engineers.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Knowledge of advanced concrete and soil testing procedures would be an asset
- CCIL Certification for aggregate, asphalt, concrete, and soils would be an asset
- Have knowledge of sampling techniques and construction methodology
- Energetic, team-oriented player with a commitment to superior client service with a strong ability to work independently
- Available to work overtime and on weekends, including out of town projects typically for 1 to 2 days, but possibly as long as 2 to 3 weeks
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational abilities
- Highly organized, and demonstrate a flexible approach to work assignments, as you may be required to work overtime depending on our clients’ needs
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and able to coordinate multiple tasks simultaneously
- Detail-oriented with attention and emphasis on accuracy and efficiency
- Computer skills in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook)
- A valid class 5 drives license and clean driver’s abstract
Education and Experience
- Hold a technician/technologist diploma from a recognized college
- Minimum 2 years’ prior experience in geotechnical laboratory and field testing of construction materials including, but not limited to: aggregates, asphalt, concrete, and soil
- Current certification or eligibility for certification with CTTAM with designation as C.Tech. or C.E.T.
- Have experience and knowledge with relevant standardized testing procedures such as ASTM, AASHTO, and CSA
- Have experience with MI (Manitoba Infrastructure) and City of Winnipeg projects and associated field and laboratory testing procedures
Fieldwork may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Primary Location : Canada-Manitoba-Winnipeg
Organization : BC-1233 EnvSvcs-CA GeoTech West
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Entry Level
Travel : Yes, 20 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Feb 17, 2023, 1:01:52 PM
Req ID: 230000SX
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans