Materials Technologist/ Technician
City : Dartmouth, NS
Category : Z-WSP E&I Canada Ltd.
Industry : Engineering
Employer : WSP
WSP is one of the world's leading professional services firms – made stronger with the recent creation of WSP E&I Canada Ltd., a wholly-owned subsidiary of WSP Canada Inc.
We have over 63,000 team members across the globe. In Canada, our 12,000 people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future. Our purpose is to future proof our cities and environments.
Positions available for civil engineering technology students and graduates wishing to work in the construction materials engineering field. Students/ graduates will perform routine field and/ or laboratory materials testing, collect field samples of soils and construction materials and perform a wide variety of tests to determine acceptability of materials based on engineering properties. Safety orientation and, on-the-job training, will be provided to successful candidates.
- We value and are committed to upholding a culture of Inclusion and Belonging
- Our Flexible Work Policy – we recognize the importance of balance in our lives and encourage you to prioritize the balance in yours. We will support you on and off the job so you can be fully present in both your work and home lives.
- Our Hybrid Work Policy - a combination of in-person and remote working, enables us to purposefully think of how we work, who we need to work with, and where the work should be done.
- A Canadian success story - we're proud to wear the red and white of this beautiful country and show the world what Canada has to offer.
- Enhance the world around you - from the environment to the highways, to the buildings and the terrain, WSP is the fabric of Canada.
- Outstanding career opportunities - we're growing and pushing ourselves every day to be greater than yesterday - we're open to your ideas and trying new things.
- A phenomenal collaborative culture and a workforce filled with genuinely good people who are doing humbly important work. Come find out for yourself what it's like to be a part of our journey.
We offer attractive pay, flexible work options, a great corporate culture, comprehensive and employee-focused benefits including virtual healthcare and a wellness platform as well as great savings programs, and a clear vision for the future.
A day in the life:
- You will review and understand project specifications and test standards;
- You will conduct laboratory and field tests and inspections and report test results for soils, concrete, and asphalt;
- You will communicate effectively within the team environment, with engineers, clients, contractors, construction crews and traffic control;
- You will calibrate, maintain, and repair testing equipment (as required);
- You will adhere to all WSP and site health and safety programs, while developing awareness of safety hazards on construction sites.
What you'll bring to WSP ...
- Communication and interpersonal skills, must be able to work effectively and contribute to group relationships;
- Thorough attention to detail, with the ability to recognize discrepancies;
- Experience and/ or knowledge of construction sites;
- Strong work ethic and leadership skills;
- Ability to work independently as well as part of the team;
- Knowledge of asphalt pavement, Portland cement concrete and properties of soils would be beneficial;
- Demonstrated commitment to safety and quality