Take a central role
As Canada's central bank, the Bank of Canada's vision is to be "A leading central bank-dynamic, engaged and trusted-committed to a better Canada." No other employer in the country offers you the unique opportunity to work at the very centre of Canada's economy, in an organization with significant impact on the economic and financial well-being of all Canadians. You will be challenged, energized and motivated to excel in an environment where we are reinventing central banking, renewing ways of doing business and reinforcing a culture of innovation.
About the position
As an Internship student, you would work under the direction of the Director responsible for the particular division in which you are located. Key responsibilities for all of the positions include the following:
- conducting high-quality analysis and research on subjects related to the responsibility of the division
- collecting, organizing and manipulating data from internal and external data sources
- under the general direction of the Director, you will contribute to the analysis and/or operations
- conducted by the team to fulfill the mandate/responsibilities of the hiring departments.
Your future responsibilities
Specific Responsibilities for the 2019-2020 Hiring Departments
Financial and Enterprise Risk
- assist in the design and development of models, applications, tools and reports to measure financial risk
- support analysis with respect to risk-management topics and issues
- develop and document processes, procedures and controls
- support the team in the implementation of operational responsibilities
Financial Stability Department
- contribute to developing quantitative tools and models to assess risks and vulnerabilities in the financial system
- analyze issues related to the financial sector (e.g., financial institutions, household sector)
Your knowledge and skills
- ability to communicate information and ideas adapted to the target audience, using clear and compelling written and oral communication skills
- ability to bring a range of considerations to issues and to conduct careful analysis
- ability to integrate specialized and complex areas of expertise, e.g., financial market analysis, economic analysis and regulatory issues analysis
- ability to work collaboratively and effectively with others within the team, across teams, with other departments and with contacts outside of the Bank, as well as independently
- ability to program in common mathematical or statistical languages
- functional in second official language
- completion of, or enrolment in, Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), Financial Risk Manager (FRM) or similar program
- strong background in quantitative methods
- strong background in trading systems
- knowledge of the Canadian financial system
Your education and experience
For your candidacy to be considered, you must be currently enrolled in an official master’s-level internship program, specializing in economics or finance.
All applicants must submit a completed online application including the following MANDATORY documents:
- a current curriculum vitae
- a cover letter (please tailor your cover letter to ensure you are describing why you are interested in working at the Bank and which position interests you the most (Analyst or Economist), and explain how this experience would help you further your career or research aspirations)
- official transcripts of your undergraduate academic record and the highest level of studies previously completed. Relevant courses you have attended must be clearly identified by their course titles.
English or French essential
What you can expect from us
This is a great opportunity to join a leading organization and be part of a high-performing team.
- Salaries are based on qualifications and experience and typically range from $22.16 to $25.85 (hourly) (job grade Student C)
- Priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents
- Security level required: Reliability or Secret
- There will be no relocation assistance provided
We encourage applications from women, Indigenous peoples, veterans, persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities and persons of all races, ethnic origins, religions, abilities, sexual orientations, and gender identities and expressions.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.