Manager, Treasury Risk
City : Toronto, ON, CA, M5H1H1
Category : Business and Financial Operations
Industry : Finance
Employer : Scotiabank
Requisition ID: 145191
Join a purpose driven winning team, committed to results, in an inclusive and high-performing culture.
Purpose of Job:
The manager in TFRM Latin America is primary focused on providing market risk oversight for Scotiabank's treasury operations in Latin America, Central America and the Caribbean, ensuring all positions and their inherent key risks are properly identified, quantified, monitored, and reported. We are looking for a candidate that thrives in a collaborative team environment, building and enhancing relationships with partners in Treasury, Risk Management, and Technology in Canada and across the Pacific Alliance (Chile, Colombia, Mexico, Peru), Central America and the Caribbean. Other activities include, designing periodic reports, developing tools to improve the team's risk oversight, reviewing the risk framework of the different jurisdictions, assessing data quality, ensuring information integrity, and implementing technology related projects. This role has regular exposure to Senior Management across different areas and jurisdictions to discuss and provide recommendations on market risk related issues in the region; written and oral presentations (in English and Spanish) are done on a regular basis to Senior Executives.
- Relationship Management: Develop effective relationships with multiple stakeholders to drive agile implementation of value-added initiatives.
- Market Intelligence/Proactive Analysis: Maintain regular dialogue with business lines and control functions with respect to financial market developments and risk matters, including changes in risk profile and P&L drivers.
- Responding to Requests/Events: Facilitate effective risk-reward decisions by providing an informed and independent opinion on new business initiatives including calibrating risk limits in alignment with the Bank’s risk appetite framework.
- Communication: Distilling daily risk/market information into highlights, ensuring material issues are timely communicated to stakeholders and senior management.
- Team player: Work effectively with other team members and/or stakeholders with emphasis on getting things done through proactive participation and collaboration.
- Identify and assess the market risks taken by the units we cover and ensure their consistency with the Bank’s risk appetite and approved business mandate.
- Advise and support International Subsidiaries in the development of their risk management framework in line with the Bank’s standards for market risk management (e.g.,Static Interest Rate Gaps, Annual Income, Economic Value, Liquidity Coverage Ratio, Stress Testing, etc.)
- Support the review of incoming requests for annual business reviews, new product adjudication, temporary limit approvals, and one-off exceptions, including the development/preparation of appropriate recommendations for presentation to Senior Management and the Market Risk Management and Policy Committee (MRMPC).
- Collaborate with other groups across the Bank to deliver consistent application of the Bank’s standards or best industry practices across International markets. Be a team player who is willing to take on more responsibilities as part of his growth in the role and/or team.
- Monitor events in international financial markets/industry, assist in identifying new and emerging trends, track and summarize new regulatory initiatives and changes.
- Master’s degree (e.g., Master of Finance, Master of Financial Risk Management, etc.).
- CFA and/or FRM certifications are an asset.
- Strong Knowledge of market risk management processes and metrics is required
- Knowledge of capital markets in Latin America is desirable
- Understanding of Financial Markets, risk analysis and valuation of complex derivatives products (e.g., non-linear risk), with particular focus on fixed income and derivatives, such as swaps, cross-currency swaps, forwards, and options.
- Strong communication skills are critical as there is close interaction with Traders and Local Risk Management teams. The manager must deal knowledgeably with local management from diverse professional and cultural backgrounds.
- Strong writing skills are critical as one of the end products is normally a written communication presenting key issues and recommendations to different risk committees.
- Given the high volume of activity, the manager must be able to prioritize ongoing initiatives and efficiently multi-task to meet objectives.
- Knowledge of Spanish is required
- Strong programming skills are an asset
- Knowledge and work experience in data visualization tools (i.e., Tableau).
- Strong and creative problem-solving skills. The manager should be able to identify areas and processes for improvements and develop solutions to address them.
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Toronto
Scotiabank is a leading bank in the Americas. Guided by our purpose: "for every future", we help our customers, their families and their communities achieve success through a broad range of advice, products and services, including personal and commercial banking, wealth management and private banking, corporate and investment banking, and capital markets.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here. Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.