Manager, Student Life (Temporary Assignment: May 2023 – November 2024)
City : Hamilton
Category : Full-Time Admin
Industry : Education
Employer : Mohawk College
Status: Temporary Assignment: May 2023 - November 2024
Hours: Monday – Friday, 35 hours/week (Hybrid; 4 days/week in-person)
Home Campus: Fennell
Rate of Pay: $78,295 - $97,869
Posting Date: April 26th, 2023
Closing Date: May 2nd, 2023 at 7:00 pm EST
We support and encourage the contributions of our diverse employees. We are committed to nurturing an equitable, diverse and inclusive (EDI) environment for everyone who learns and works at Mohawk College. We believe the rich diversity among our students and the communities we serve should be reflected within our workforce. As educators we believe it is important to act and show leadership in advancing the principles of equity, diversity and inclusion in our community.
Mohawk College is currently recruiting for our next
Manager, Student Life
Reporting to the Director, Student Success Initiatives, the Manager, Student Life is responsible for strategic direction and leadership of Student Life initiatives.
The Manager, Student Life works to build partnerships and collaborative relationships with students and employees across all college campuses to develop, expand, promote and deliver programming and activities within the portfolio which contributes to the Mohawk student experience. These include student leadership (development program, retreats, student mentoring), student recognition (co-curricular record, Celebration of Learning), student experience (first-year experience, orientation & transition, apprenticeship lifecycle), Campus to Community programming, and student off-campus housing services.
The duties of this position include, but are not limited to:
Program and Service Delivery
- Continues to be knowledgeable of trends in student engagement/experience programming and student affairs best practices while leading the Student Life team to develop, enhance and maintain coordinated, high-impact programs and services by ensuring regular evaluation and redevelopment of practices to optimize the student and community experience.
- Directs and manages a multi-disciplinary team of unionized support staff and student employees/volunteers to develop and/or enhance innovative, outcomes-based and research-informed services and programs that contribute positively to student retention, persistence, and success.
- Oversight on all program activities and the development of key Mohawk Student Leadership strategies, programs and events
- Responsible for employee recruitment, hiring, retention, performance management, ongoing feedback, and supervision of unionized staff as well as non-unionized contract personnel.
- Demonstrates a high degree of skill in managing people, building teams and ensuring a departmental culture characterized by teamwork, enthusiasm, positive communication and collaboration, respect, fairness, transparency, trust, collective confidence, recognition, and empowerment.
- Develops co-curricular experiences to foster positive student life and engage students outside the classroom that will provide opportunities to enhance skill development.
- Establishes priorities, co-ordinates activities and makes best use of resources. Demonstrates a high level of organization and communicates decisions in a timely manner. Is responsive to requests for resources in a timely manner.
- Provides direction while inspiring and supporting others to achieve the vision and objectives of the area and the College as a whole.
- Uses a consultative and collaborative approach to advance service delivery for the division and college. Sets and communicates clear goals, and achieves results by encouraging, supporting, and recognizing the contributions of others across the college.
- Direct and manage internal and external resources to achieve goals and seek efficiencies that will improve organizational performance.
- Develops and leverages relationships with students, faculty, academic support areas, administrative leaders and support staff on campus, professional associations, and in the community.
- Provides visionary leadership and facilitates collaborative dialogue to develop, articulate and enact a comprehensive long-term strategy to develop and promote programs and activities within the portfolio.
- Enhances opportunities for meaningful student engagement through various engagement opportunities, including co-circular record.
- Leads with evidence-informed decisions, as they relate to enhancing the student experience.
- Supports the college’s strategic plans as they relate to the area of Student Life.
- Provides prudent financial forecasting and oversight of all resources
- Responsible for the strategic and appropriate use of the overall Student Life budget in accordance with College policies and procedures.
Other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate will have:
- 3-year Diploma/Degree in Business/Office Administration, Event Management, Project Management, Education, or similar field; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in a similar role
- Proven record of leadership and experience managing staff in a unionized environment and working in collaboration with campus and community partners
- Demonstrated experience in program development and expansion.
- Extensive knowledge of post-secondary systems, policies, initiatives, and current issues
- Experience planning and managing budget
- Ability to elicit cooperation from a wide variety of sources, including upper management, clients, and other departments
- Superior analytical, research, and problem-solving experience to identify options and resolve complex issues
- Current knowledge and experience with innovative programming and technology related programs, services, and activities within the Student Life portfolio
- Driver’s license required
- Demonstrated commitment and understanding of human rights, equity, diversity and inclusion with the ability to communicate and work effectively with diverse groups of students, employees and the community.
Mohawk College prioritizes recruiting and retaining diverse employees. With this in mind, the College is committed to fostering inclusive and barrier-free recruitment and selection processes.
Should you require accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please contact the Human Resources Department at (905) 575 - 2047.
Mohawk College is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from racialized persons, women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, S2LGBTQIA+ persons, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
For more information concerning the Mohawk College strategic plan, please see: strategicplan.mohawkcollege.ca/