Manager, Sport and Recreation
City : Surrey, BC
Category : 6440-Sport & Recreation Admin
Industry : Education
Employer : Kwantlen Polytechnic University - KPU
Sport and Recreation operates facilities and programming across multiple campuses and non-standard business hours including weekends for KPU students, employees and the community. The Manager, Sport and Recreation is responsible for providing day to day operational leadership including but not limited to the development, execution, and oversight of high-quality accessible, equitable, and inclusive sport and recreation experiences that promote skill development, physical activity, social interactions, and community connectedness.EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- An Undergraduate degree in a related field such as physical education or sport and recreation management,
- A minimum of five years experience in program planning and development in a complex and demanding organizational environment. Preference given to those with experience within a post-secondary educational institution.
- Minimum two years management experience or more in human resource management and employee development. Preference given to those with experience in an unionized environment.
- National Coaching Certification Program (NCCP) qualifications (trained or certified status) in Community, Competitive and Instructional streams. Preferred for knowledge in basketball, soccer, and volleyball.
- BC Recreation and Parks Association (BCRPA) High Five, Fitness Theory, Group Fitness, Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology (CSEP) or equivalent certification and standard first aid with CPR.
- Or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience with a broad range of fitness, sport and recreational disciplines and coaching theory. Experience with program planning for students with disabilities and other equity deserving groups is an asset.
- Demonstrated experience with related governing bodies, including but not limited to organizations such as BCRPA and ViaSport.
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving skills, and conflict resolution skills.
- Demonstrated ability to form and maintain positive working relationships with a variety of key parties.
- Demonstrated commitment to providing outstanding customer service.
- Demonstrated experience with facility maintenance including gymnasium, fitness centre, turf and other sport surfaces.
- Knowledge of budget planning, development and management, preferably within an athletics or recreation environment.
- Demonstrated commitment to directing sport and recreation programs that reflect and support organizational values and goals.
- Demonstrated ability to compromise and reach consensus on difficult issues, particularly related to utilization of scarce resources.
- Proven strong organizational and leadership skills with demonstrated competence in program development, administration, decision-making and fiscal management skills.
- Advanced communication, facilitation and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to all facets of student wellbeing including academic success.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle is required.
- Ability to travel between campuses is required.
click here for a more detailed job description
Does this role sound like it was made for you, yet you don’t check every box?
We at KPU understand that experiences and qualifications may look differently for everyone and, if this job description is of interest to you, we encourage you to apply.
Note to Applicants:
Kwantlen Polytechnic University welcomes and encourages applications from equity deserving groups and diverse experiences including, but not limited to, Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, and members of the 2S/LGBTQIA+ community.
If there are any barriers that you are experiencing or an accommodation that we can provide to support you through the application process, please reach out to us at email@example.com.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
We thank all applicants for their interest in employment with KPU. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Kwantlen Polytechnic University is committed to protecting the safety and welfare of employees, students, and the general public, and upholding the reputation and integrity of the University. For this reason, final applicants will be asked to undergo a background check.