Manager, Retail Support Expense & Sundry
City : Toronto, Ontario
Category : Full time
Industry : Finance
Employer : Shoppers Drug Mart®
Referred applicants should not apply directly to this role.
All referred applicants must first be submitted through Workday by a current Loblaw Colleague.
Come make your difference in communities across Canada, where authenticity, trust and making connections is valued – as we shape the future of Canadian retail, together. Our unique position as one of the country's largest employers, coupled with our commitment to positively impact the lives of all Canadians, provides our colleagues a range of opportunities and experiences to help Canadians Live Life Well®.
At Loblaw Companies Limited, we succeed through collaboration and commitment and set a high bar for ourselves and those around us. Whether you are just starting your career, re-entering the workforce, or looking for a new job, this is where you belong.
Reporting directly to the Senior Manager, Retail FP&A, SG&A, the Manager, Retail FP&A, SG&A is required to work closely with various departments and the stores to manage the reporting, planning and analysis of a set of store selling, general and administrative expense accounts. This role is a key support for business leads in Operations, Real Estate, Marketing, Category Management, Loss prevention, National Maintenance to understand performance and highlight areas of opportunities or risks. In addition, this role directly manages 2 senior financial analysts and is responsible for the development and mentoring of staff as well as maintaining a productive team.
- Support business leads in Operations, Real Estate, Marketing, Category Management, via periodic review meetings to understand business drivers and generate data driven insights to support business decisions to drive store SG&A expense down.
- Complete the Common Year Plan process for a set of accounts by working with business stakeholders to incorporate various store SG&A savings initiatives and to ensure that key plan assumptions are included. Review and analyze each plan submission for accuracy, reasonableness and completeness.
- Complete the periodic forecast requirements for a set of accounts by accounting for current & historical performance trends and by identifying and communicating risks and opportunities. Collaborate closely with business leads to incorporate period end insights into the periodic forecast build.
- Develop performance tracking reports to analyze key store cost savings initiatives and provide insights to business leads and senior management on opportunities and risks. Provide support and maintain strong relationships with stores and other internal business partners.
- Complete period end close requirements for a set of store selling, general and administrative expense accounts by ensuring P&L and balance sheet accuracy and completeness. Analyze periodic results by performing volume/mix/rate analytics and provide financial insights and highlight business drivers of performance.
- Lead and manage a team of 2 senior financial analysts. Coach, mentor and drive employee engagement. Assess talent and pro-actively develop a high-performance team.
- Support adhoc projects and initiatives as required
This position requires a demonstrated level of initiative and judgment in order to organize and prioritize tasks and workload. Courtesy, tact and diplomacy are required in dealing with colleagues in every day working relationships.
- Ability to manage, manipulate and analyze data in order to identify and quantify business opportunities/risks and be able to provide sound analysis and insights.
- Attention to detail and an appreciation and acumen for placing/having thorough checks in place.
- Business acumen - knowledge of accounting guidelines, principles and procedures.
- Communicates with clarity, verbally and in one on one or group situations, or over the telephone.
- Strong leader and team player with the ability to collaborate, coach and develop talent.
- Strong organizational skills and able to prioritize work with varying exceptions while striving under pressure in a fast paced, high performance culture.
- Professional manner, tact and discretion in dealing with colleagues including senior management.
- Advanced Excel Skills & knowledge of Micro Strategy & SAP an asset.
Greater than three years in finance, accounting, business or equivalent experience.
University degree in Business or Accounting with CPA qualification an asset.
Our commitment to Sustainability and Social Impact is an essential part of the way we do business, and we focus our attention on areas where we can have the greatest impact. Our approach to sustainability and social impact is based on three pillars – Environment, Sourcing and Community – and we are constantly looking for ways to demonstrate leadership in these important areas. Our CORE Values – Care, Ownership, Respect and Excellence – guide all our decision-making and come to life through our Blue Culture. We offer our colleagues progressive careers, comprehensive training, flexibility, and other competitive benefits – these are some of the many reasons why we are one of Canada’s Top Employers, Canada’s Best Diversity Employers, Canada’s Greenest Employers & Canada’s Top Employers for Young People.
If you are unsure whether your experience matches every requirement above, we encourage you to apply anyway. We are looking for varied perspectives which include diverse experiences that we can add to our team.
We have a long-standing focus on diversity, equity and inclusion because we know it will make our company a better place to work and shop. We are committed to creating accessible environments for our colleagues, candidates and customers. Requests for accommodation due to a disability (which may be visible or invisible, temporary or permanent) can be made at any stage of application and employment. We encourage candidates to make their accommodation needs known so that we can provide equitable opportunities.
Candidates who are 18 years or older are required to complete a criminal background check. Details will be provided through the application process.