Manager, Planning & Scheduling
City : Fort Saskatchewan, AB
Category : Full Time Planning
Industry : Mining and Quarrying
Employer : Sherritt
Headquartered in Toronto, Sherritt is a world leader in using hydrometallurgical processes to mine and refine nickel and cobalt – metals essential for an electric future. Its Technologies Group creates innovative, proprietary solutions for natural resource- based industries around the world to improve environmental performance and increase economic value.
Sherritt has embarked on a multi-pronged growth strategy focused on expanding nickel and cobalt production by up to 20% from 2021 and extending the life of mine at Moa beyond 2040. The Corporation is also the largest independent energy producer in Cuba. Sherritt’s common shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbol “S”.
Reporting to the Director, Maintenance, Construction & Turnaround, the Manager, Planning and Scheduling will be accountable to lead and optimize the related work management processes at the Fort site including long range planning and optimization, regular and major maintenance scheduling, progress tracking and escalation, as well as lessons learned and continuous improvement. This includes defining and championing the business processes across the organization required to efficiently and cost effectively deliver work.
This position will be based out of our Fort Saskatchewan plant site.
- Develop and implement an annual business plan to drive consistency and improvements in the maintenance work management areas of planning and scheduling. This includes continually optimizing existing systems, procedures and practices that govern these processes.
- Develop and ensure that there is one integrated methodology and that encompasses all groups at the Fort site.
- In alignment with the major maintenance schedule, ensure that all optimization actions, assurance reviews, schedule optimization workshops, peer reviews, etc. are completed to minimize planned downtime.
- Develop and ensure compliance to all appropriate work processes.
- Develop and coordinate the resource plan that is required to plan and schedule work across the site.
- Develop and deliver the communication plan, which includes identifying stakeholders and escalating issues to ensure appropriate communications to the site.
- Ensure all work is planned in compliance with safety and environmental standards and regulations; adhere to standards and procedures with the objective of zero harm to employees, the environment, and neighboring communities.
- Be aware and comply with position relevant regulatory, legal, and Sherritt policy requirements.
- Design, implement, and sustain an optimized organization for the planning and scheduling of maintenance work.
- Develop, implement, and facilitate the use of Visual Management Boards to monitor, display, analyze, and continually improve performance against KPI’s.
- Remove obstacles (alignment, resource constraints, work processes) to ensure successful planning and scheduling.
- Act as the planning and scheduling content expert and coach and mentor the teams on principles and theory.
- Align all planning and scheduling processes with related work processes in Asset Management, Operations, Engineering, SCM, Finance, and IT to drive consistency of work and minimize process conflict across the organization.
- Establish and sustain a communication/education strategy for planning & scheduling function with key groups
- Align the usage of the technology, processes, and data of the maintenance work management system to support and improve automation of the planning and scheduling processes to drive efficiencies.
- Organize and facilitate the relevant lookbacks, post investment review, and identification of future focus improvement areas.
- Ensure site team stays competitive through continuous improvement initiatives, participate in industry benchmarking, networking and auditing.
Qualifications and Skills
- Technologist diploma, Journeyman Technician in maintenance related discipline, or equivalent combination of related education and experience.
- 10-15 years’ experience in maintenance execution and/or operations.
- MMP, RCM, CMRP or equivalent maintenance management certification.
- Working knowledge of manufacturing technical disciplines (engineering, millwright, instrumentation, electrical).
- Previous work experience in refinery or industrial facility preferred.
- Working knowledge of EAM, Primavera, MS Office Suite and SharePoint will be considered an asset.
- Responsible and follow through with your commitments to others and to safety.
- Innovative and are willing to challenge your biases when problem solving
- Collaborative, inclusive, and work well with others towards team goals.
- Leadership skills and management experience with key planning and scheduling roles which include project management, turnaround planning, scheduling, field coordination, and project controls leading large teams.
What Sherritt Can Offer You
- Competitive wage with comprehensive benefits and retirement savings programs that holistically support employee wellbeing
- Generous paid time off to support and empower employee work/life balance
- Ongoing learning and professional development opportunities within a diverse, inclusive and dynamic work environment
Application Deadline: The job posting will remain open until qualified candidates are selected.
We thank all candidates for their application. Only qualified candidates will be contacted directly and engaged in the interview process.