Manager, Global Accounting Policies & Procedures
City : Toronto, ON, CA, M5H1H1
Category : Customer Service Representative
Industry : Financial Services/Banking
Employer : Scotiabank
Requisition ID: 191851
Join a purpose driven winning team, committed to results, in an inclusive and high-performing culture.
The Manager, Global Accounting Policies & Procedures is responsible for researching and developing accounting policies and procedures and their implementation for the Bank, as directed by the Director or Senior Manager. It involves analyzing and assessing the impact of accounting standards and proposed changes, resolving complex accounting issues, and providing advice and counsel on specialized transactions where required. As a result, the incumbent must become and remain up to date in the areas of International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) within their responsibility and be generally familiar with other major changes to IFRS as they occur.
Is this role right for you? In this role, you will:
- Responsible for ensuring that key areas of the Bank are aware of and appropriately prepare for and manage the impact of new and emerging accounting standards.
- Help with the direct implementation of these new accounting standards, research issues with respect to specific strategies/transactions and provide alternatives and recommendations on compliance.
- Interaction with other departments of the Bank to communicate and establish their respective roles and responsibilities in implementing the requirements of these new accounting standards.
- Ensure that senior management is up to date on the specific accounting implications to the Bank of new and modified IFRS standards.
- Identify and research issues, consider areas of flexibility and make recommendations after considering the Bank's priorities.
- Proposed recommendations should consider the impact on the all Bank and business line results in order to change business behaviour and practices, if necessary.
- Review and provide recommendations on the appropriate accounting for proposed transactions that are specialized.
- The analysis of these transactions will normally require well-documented summaries of the relevant transaction terms, accounting alternatives, and a basis for recommendations.
- Due to the time-sensitive nature of these pending transactions, the incumbent is expected to provide a timely turnaround of these analyses.
- Maintain and update the accounting monograph (i.e., IFRS policies) and implementation guidelines on a timely basis, including training of users and implications of the new guidelines.
- Actively participate in the development and interpretation of new and proposed accounting standards, including disclosures in the financial statements and the MD&A. It will include responding to new accounting standards issued by IASB, FASB and Regulators (OSC, SEC & OSFI). It may also involve participation in CBA sub-committees as well as industry working groups.
Do you have the skills that will enable you to succeed in this role? - We'd love to work with you if you have:
- Strong organization skills with the ability to manage any number of projects/initiatives/reviews at any given time. Ability to search and understand a vast body of complex material efficiently and productively to produce accurate results and present alternatives.
- Ability to implement the complex accounting requirements for the assigned business lines.
- Solid financial acumen and strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Accuracy and attention to detail while working under pressure to meet tight deadlines.
- Superior communication skills, both orally and in written memos and other forms of communication, are required.
- Good interpersonal skills to develop and maintain relationships with a variety of staff in cross-functional teams.
- Must be a team player with the willingness to take on additional projects and responsibilities to achieve the group's overall objectives and goals.
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint and the ability to learn to use the various reporting tools to extract and present information from the Bank's accounting records Canadian CPA designation.
What’s in it for you?
- An inclusive & collaborative working environment that encourages creativity, curiosity, and celebrates success!
- We offer a competitive rewards package: Performance bonus, Employee Share Ownership Program, and Pension Plan Matching, Health Benefits from day one!
- Your career matters! You will have access to career development and progression opportunities.
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Toronto
Scotiabank is a leading bank in the Americas. Guided by our purpose: "for every future", we help our customers, their families and their communities achieve success through a broad range of advice, products and services, including personal and commercial banking, wealth management and private banking, corporate and investment banking, and capital markets.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here. Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.