Manager, Development Engineering (Drainage)
City : Edmonton
Category : Permanent Full Time
Industry : Utilities
Employer : EPCOR
Highlights of the job
We have an opportunity for an individual to join the Water Services team as a permanent full-time Manager, Development Engineering (Drainage) in Edmonton with our Customer Operations team! In the role you will be accountable for the delivery of engineering and design work related to development and growth of the water and drainage network in Edmonton which includes ongoing relationship management with industry stakeholders (contractors, consultants and developers). As well, you are also responsible for a portfolio of capital projects related to drainage system expansion, providing input into design standards updates and supervising the work of a team of engineering technologists and engineers. You will also be ensuring review and approvals of water and drainage system growth and development are completed in a timely manner, in accordance with applicable regulations, design and engineering standards and industry best practices.
What you’d be responsible for
In the Manager, Development Engineering (Drainage) role you will be EPCORs prime liaison with the City of Edmonton Drainage Planning department for engineering and design reviews. Your key accountabilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Ensuring the delivery of optimal results against appropriate performance metrics. Developing, monitoring and managing operational metrics in line with the Service Level Agreement with the City of Edmonton (City Planning).
- Developing, implementing and regularly reviewing and updating Development Engineering processes to ensure compliance to policies, standards, regulatory requirements and ensure mitigation of risks.
- Coordinating review of non-compliant engineering designs with respect to land development applications and engineering drawings reviews, as per servicing agreements and Drainage Design and Construction standards.
- Creating a strong team of technically knowledgeable and customer focused front line staff and providing appropriate context and prescribed limits for the development of technical and professional stream employees.
- Develop implement and maintain an appropriate organization design, which includes vertical and functional position alignment, clarity of accountabilities and authorities (managerial and cross functional); matching people to positions; matching tasks to positions; and managerial leadership practices.
- Ensuring business plans and deliverables of direct report positions are aligned and integrated, stratum appropriate and include performance expectations and deliverable metrics within the context of the Water Services, Customer Operations and Development and Infill business plan(s).
What’s required to be successful
Qualifications, experience and behaviours you possess are:
- Completion of a Bachelors Science degree in Engineering from a recognized educational institute.
- Registered as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) with APEGA or eligible for registration with APEGA.
- If not registered with APEGA must be within 6 months of being hired.
- Experience that includes:
- Five (5) or more years in design and construction of water distribution and/or wastewater/stormwater collection systems.
- Five (5) or more years with external stakeholder interactions.
- Supervising engineering professionals and administrative staff.
- Managing in a unionized environment.
- Supervisory and/or technical level experience that includes program delivery related design and construction of utilities.
- Technical Skills and Knowledge:
- Excellent planning and organizational skills.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite, tools/software.
- Engineering principles and standard practices related to water and drainage planning, design and construction.
- Advanced knowledge of hydrology and hydraulic and best practices for urban planning.
- Progressive project management skills for managing internal team activities, as well as consulting contracts.
- An understanding of the utility sector and experience in a regulated business environment.
- Capital program development and project delivery.
- Strong communication skills both written and verbal.
- Knowledge of:
- Modelling for large systems including hydraulic, hydrologic, and wastewater.
- Water and wastewater network design, construction and project management of water and wastewater distribution and collection infrastructure.
- Private development process, practices, and design standards
- Understanding of:
- Asset management and GIS software and tools and the functional capabilities of business intelligence software and tools.
- Capital strategy development and planning process.
Other important facts about this job
This is a professional level position that typically works Monday to Friday (40 hours per week). For our current EPCOR Employees please ensure that you are using your “@epcor.com” email address on your resume.
Please note the following information:
- A requirement of working for EPCOR is that you are at least 18 years of age, successfully attained a high school diploma (GED, or equivalent level of secondary education) and legally entitled to work in Canada. (A copy of a valid work permit may be required.)
- If you are considered for the position, clearance on all applicable background checks (which may include criminal, identity, educational, and/or credit) and professional reference checks is required. Some EPCOR positions require an enhanced level of background assessment, which is dictated by law. These positions require advanced criminal record checks that must also be conducted from time to time after commencement of employment.
- A technical/practical assessment may be administered during the selection process and this exercise will be used as a part of the selection criterion.
- To meet the physical demands required of some positions, candidates must be in good physical condition and willing to work in all weather conditions. Clearance on pre-placement medical and drug and alcohol testing may be required.