City : Any City
Category : Full-time
Industry : Telecommunications
Employer : Shaw
A little about us
At Shaw, we’re proud to be leaders in a movement that brings Canadians the connectivity they need to fuel their lives. We’re making bold moves to connect Canadians and we’re always on the lookout for go-getters that are committed to disrupting the status quo. Does that sound like you? We’d love to meet you.
As Manager, Database Technologies, you will be accountable for overseeing the sustainability, integrity, availability and security for the enterprise grade database environments, which enable the team to provide a first-class level of service to our internal business partners. You will lead and coach a team of database professionals responsible for carrying out the activities which support those objectives. Additionally, this leader will be accountable for alignment with Shaw’s longer-term strategic database infrastructure roadmap. This role will be reporting to the Director, Data Center Infrastructure & Operations within Shaw’s ESTN group.
A typical day
• Advise, guide and support the development of the Database Technologies team
• Manage a team of highly skilled individuals in the operations and delivery of database environments and architecture
• Facilitating development and communication of database strategy and roadmaps covering all aspects of database technology stacks
• Provide input & direction for the selection of new technology, and development of strategic relationships with key vendors and industry partners.
• Be a key member of the team responsible preparing any RFQ/RFP for tenders, evaluate responses and provide recommendation
• Manage the resources of the team to ensure success in projects. Focus on deliverables that pertain to the quality and timeliness of the team's contribution.
• Champion, communicate and ensure alignment for database-related initiatives with multiple business partners within Shaw and Freedom
• Lead and manage the continuous improvement of the team, its processes, its best practices and services delivered
• Ensure key ITSM processes such as change, incident, problem and security are followed, documented, and enhanced as needed
• Identify effective staff training, career development and engagement improvement plans
• Promote good communication, collaboration, excellence and a healthy work environment
• Regular interaction with business partner and technology partner peers to represent the interests of the database team as well as to get feedback on team success
• Degree/diploma complemented by a minimum of 5 years of IT work experience
• Previous management/leadership experience would be considered an asset
• Experience with data center environments that include databases would be considered a strong asset
• Highly developed relationship management skills for dealing with varied management and staff levels
• Strong organizational, interpersonal and communication skills as well as presentation skills (written and oral)
• Excellent planning, presentation, and reporting skills
• A positive “can do” attitude and customer focused approach that will enable you to deal with challenging situations with integrity, empathy, and sincerity
• Good general knowledge and intellectual curiosity (acquire and develop new knowledge and skills)
• Analytical mind and open-minded approach to problem solving
• This position requires the successful completion of a criminal and credit background check.
• This role is not location-specific.
• Applicants will be hired in any Shaw or Freedom location and will not be required to relocate for this role.
Shaw Communications, through its third-party vendor, collects and stores information applicable to the candidate profile you create when you submit the information asked for below. The use and disclosure of the collected information is for the sole purpose of job search and placement activities for Shaw Communications. The information is subject to Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act. The information will be retained and when disposed of, it is done so in a secure manner. Your profile will become inactive and moved to the archive if you do not access your profile for a period of 1 year.
Subscribe to our newsletter & stay updated