Manager, Database Solutions
City : Vancouver
Category : Technology
Industry : Government
Employer : City of Vancouver
Requisition ID: 38733
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Peoples, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and Canada's Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Manager, Database Solutions is responsible for the provision of a diverse array of data and analytics platform services including database architecture, design, development, administration, data collection, data storage, data governance, data engineering and data integration.
Provides technical leadership and guidance in the planning and development of enterprise data services and ensures the ongoing secure and effective operation of these services which are deployed on a broad range of technical platforms utilizing various tools and products.
Works with functional Technology Services (TS) resources and key business staff to identify and recommend alternatives and develop appropriate solutions to assist the business in meeting their operational requirements. In order to perform this role the Manager, Database Solutions has access to a wide range of sensitive and business critical information.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Providing leadership and guidance to the Data Platform Services team, including hiring, assigning responsibilities, evaluating performance, coaching, mentoring, training and development, and discipline up to and including termination.
- Providing leadership in database design and strategy. Implementing database design standards and best practices. Contributing to the development of an organizational shared data practices across database solutions, data enablement and analytics enablement.
- Managing the effective administration, support and development of the City’s databases
- Maintaining enterprise level standards relating to database and application systems in the team’s portfolio including release and upgrade compliance
- Maintaining effective integration between systems within the teams portfolio, as well as to other corporate systems and software as a service solutions
- Ensuring the enablement of script-generated metrics related to the performance and up-time of data service solutions under the team’s portfolio. Identifying and implementing industry best practices in database management while creating and contributing to the CoV architecture standards and frameworks
- Driving and providing input into people, process, and technology improvements around our database long term strategy leveraging cloud and other new technologies to increase efficiency and automation
- Performing strategic research on toolsets and methodologies to drive the continuous improvement on database design, development, testing and management practices.
- Ensures database solutions are documented in the Enterprise Architecture tool including relationships to business processes and systems.
- Manages database infrastructure projects to ensure compliance with industry and regulatory standards, version currency, and information security.
- Works with the Director of Enterprise Data and Analytics as part of a decision making team to deal with ongoing issues and decisions required to provide synergies within the group and to evaluate priorities and plan work
- Manages the team of database administrators and technical staff that conduct technical and complex activities in support of database architecture, design, development, administration, data architecture, integration, analytics and reporting e.g. Manage and optimize system performance and tuning
- Maintain disaster recovery plans, and implement disaster recovery procedures
- Monitor the hardware, operating system, database and application environments and implement remedial action when problems occur
- Software configuration, security management, server reliability and availability management activities for data services
- Manages database infrastructure projects that support Enterprise Application Delivery
- Participates in life cycle planning, ensuring that migration and consolidation opportunities, cloud solutions, technical innovations, key business events, and vendor releases and upgrades are factored into the branch portfolio and planning process, and balancing team workloads
- Guides team members in the analysis and resolution of complex problems; including analyzing the business and technical risks of possible solutions based on knowledge of data structures and the relationships between hardware and software products and applications
- Plans, delegates the development, and monitors compliance for data and standards, policies, and procedures, including security of data and applications
- Determines requirements for and plans, develops, and implements the support of data services used by a wide range of business applications, consistent with the City’s direction and user agreed service level requirements
- Manages software licenses for relevant products consistent with City policies and processes
- Fosters a customer service-oriented culture and responds to issues in a timely manner
- Maintains relationships with relevant vendors and consultants
- Keeps current on related technologies
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Degree or recognized certification in a related discipline such as Computer Science, Math, Business Administration, or related experience
- Considerable experience managing or leading a team responsible for database architecture, design, development, administration, and management.
Minimum 7 years experience in applications or product development and design, of which at least five years have included responsibility for managing a team of more than ten
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated knowledge of applicable processes, software and tools
- Broad knowledge of IT systems processes, practices and tool sets across a range of infrastructure environments (e.g., virtual machines, servers, mainframes) suitable for data services environments
- Thorough knowledge of database architecture, design, development, administration, data architecture, integration, analytics and reporting including DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, SQL Reporting Services, SQL Analysis Services, SQL Integration Services, FME, Biztalk, Qlik Replicate, and relevant Azure Cloud Data Services
- Thorough knowledge of the approaches and practices and tools for database architecture, design, development, administration, and management
- Demonstrated operational and project management skills: results focused, team oriented
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure, manage multiple priorities and respond to requests in a timely manner
- Knowledge of municipal or other public sector business practices and processes
- Excellent leadership skills
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Excellent oral, written, presentation and facilitation skills with ability to communicate at all levels of the organization
- Ability to think and plan strategically
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with a variety of internal and external contact to provide information and assistance
- Highly trustworthy; capable of handling business critical and sensitive information
Where operationally appropriate and subject to change, the City of Vancouver has a Flexible Work Program. This program allows staff to work remotely 1 – 4 days a week from locations that are a daily commutable distance from their work at a City worksite. At this time this position is eligible to be part of the Flexible Work Program.
The City’s COVID-19 vaccination policy is currently suspended and as a result, vaccination against COVID-19 is not required at this time. However, should circumstances change and the City deem it necessary to re-introduce such policy, you may be required to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be eligible to continue performing your duties.
Business Unit/Department: IT, Digital Strategy & 311 (1070)
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: July, 2023
Salary Information: Pay Grade RNG-111: $116,696 to $153,560 per annum
Application Close: June 16, 2023
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, 2SLGBTQ+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Before you click Apply now
Once you start your application you can save your work and leave the applications page, however please remember to submit your profile to the specific job requisition before the posting closing date.
In addition to uploading your cover letter and resume, part of the application process may include answering application questions related to the preferred requirements of the role which may take approx. 5-10 minutes. Cover letters should express interest and highlight additional information relevant to the position and resumes should include a summary of skills and experience related to the position.