Manager, Contracts and Purchasing (Residential Construction)
City : Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Category : Full-Time
Industry : Procurement
Employer : Mattamy Homes
Calgary, Alberta – Hybrid (3 days/week in office)
Mattamy Homes Canada
When it comes to forward-thinking homebuilding and thoughtfully planned communities, Canadians think of Mattamy Homes. And that success is centred on a foundation of great people, because our team is as solid as they come. At Mattamy, we are optimistic, hardworking and supportive. Together we learn and grow as we strive to create a positive impact in the homebuilding industry. Contributing to the Mattamy Way means being surrounded by caring people who encourage you to be exactly who you are. It means your opinion is invited and your contributions count. And it means a career filled with pride, knowing you’re part of an environmentally-conscious, action-oriented organization with big plans for the future. The opportunity to bring the future of living to homeowners based on what Canadians value is exciting – and we’re making it happen.
Learn more about what makes working at Mattamy special and our award-winning culture.
What we offer
At Mattamy Homes, our Purchasing Team is focused on achieving the optimal balance of high-quality products & workmanship with timely service at a cost-effective price to enable Mattamy Homes to provide the Best Homeowner Experience. The Manager, Contracts & Purchasing is accountable for procurement and delivery of products/services for multiple high-volume communities in a timely, cost-effective manner and in conformance with company policies, procedures, and budgets.
What you’ll do
- Control, develop and produce approved budgets and proformas with input from appropriate internal departments.
- Tabulate and analyze tenders, and under the direction of Vice President of Purchasing, negotiate Contract Price and terms.
- Analyze cost comparisons and differences in products and services on long term/short term contract agreements, while ensuring the correct amount of product or service is received at the appropriate time.
- Solicit bids and quotes from trade partners/suppliers based on price, quality, service, support, and participate in review, development, and analysis of scopes of work aimed at quality control and standardization of equipment, materials, supplies, and services.
- Study existing or new design drawings and keep abreast of changes impacting supply of materials in order to reassess budgets and amend forecasts.
- Liaise with Architecture to ensure alignment of all plan-related details, drawing materials, sales and marketing material and constructability of plans prior to sales launch.
- Develop and qualify new trade partners/suppliers while maintaining and monitoring existing ones.
- Determine which trade partners/suppliers will receive tender packages based on the master call list.
- Act as liaison between trade partners, quality control, construction, marketing, design studio, customer service, finance, and land departments.
- Assess damaged and inferior products and negotiate returns for credit.
- Lead a team to estimate and prepare quantity take-offs from working or design drawings for budgeting or tendering purposes.
- Provides ownership for all items and option master within JDE and drives the alignment of system set-up across all communities.
- Participate in site visits in order to check performance of trades against scope of work/contract.
- Participates in analysis and development of new product drawings for value engineering opportunities and pricing thereof.
- Lead of team to produce forecast reports to trade partners on a regular basis.
- In collaboration with Finance produce, review, and analyze reports on lot costs, options & extras as requested.
- Address and resolve issues involving trades and/or builders, as needed.
What you bring
- Post-secondary education and suitable work experience in the construction field.
- Must have five or more years of progressive experience in the residential construction industry, estimating and purchasing.
- Professional experience dealing ethically with people/situations/issues and ability to demonstrate what processes are applied in decision-making which reflect professionalism and integrity.
- Solid understanding of generally accepted purchasing principles and practices.
- Working knowledge of house building and construction material purchasing.
- Excellent communication and negotiating skills.
- Excellent mathematical skills with the ability to analyze, look for trends and superior estimating skills.
- Prior experience in preparing and analyzing budgets.
- Experience in computerized environment for production planning, ordering, analysis etc.
- Superior computer skills in MS Office – in particular Excel.
- Extremely well-organized, flexible, ability to prioritize workloads, meet deadlines and work well under pressure.
- Understanding of the OH&S, WBC and Health & Safety regulations.
- Experience working in JDE is a strong asset.
We encourage applicants who meet most of the role requirements to hit that submit button and apply! It’s okay if you don’t have 100% of the requirements. If you’re the right candidate, we’ll help you learn and grow.
Who we are
Mattamy Homes is the largest privately owned homebuilder in North America, with 40-plus years of history across Canada and the United States. Every year, Mattamy helps more than 8,000 families realize their dream of home ownership. In Canada, our communities stretch across the Greater Toronto Area as well as in Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton.
Be yourself. We want it that way.
At Mattamy, we're passionate about creating and promoting a diverse and inclusive environment where everyone can do their best work. Diversity and inclusion are important to the work we do to support our homebuyers, colleagues, and communities. From how we build our teams to cultivating our leaders, we're on a journey toward a welcoming, barrier-free culture for everyone.
Mattamy Homes Canada is committed to providing accommodation for people with disabilities. If you require accommodation through any aspects of the selection process, please notify us on your application and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Qualified applicants will be contacted directly by the Talent Acquisition team.