Manager, Content Design
City : Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto, Ottawa, Atlanta, Texas, Seattle, Chicago, New York, Dallas, Austin, Houston, Colorado
Category : Marketing
Industry : Technology
Employer : Hootsuite
Are you an experienced Content Design Manager with a passion for simplicity? If you’re driven to create customer experiences that feel effortless and know how to inspire others to do the same, we’d love to talk to you. We need your experience to help us take customers on a journey to discover their own success with social media using Hootsuite.
As our Content Design leader, you’ll develop and establish our approach to UX writing and be hands-on with content design in our Digital Experience team. You’ll provide day-to-day and strategic leadership for a fun, vibrant, and hard-working team of content designers and work closely with our Product Management, Design, Software Development, Customer Support and Brand teams to develop and drive our content design discipline at Hootsuite. While based in Hootsuite’s office or remotely across Canada (in accordance with Hootsuite's local employment entities), you will report to the VP, Digital Experience.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Develop the content design discipline at Hootsuite. Partner with our brand and design organizations to develop a compelling Hootsuite voice, define content experiences customers have in-product, and build a terminology set that all our teams can buy into. Develop standards for, and create content that is both accessible and inclusive.
- Partner with Product Design to create strategies that assist customers in product and help them learn social media skills fast. These include strategies for UI text, help tips, and assistive tooling that drives product adoption and builds social media knowledge.
- Drive recruitment for content designers. Develop a complete range of job descriptions for content designers that bring clarity around career progression, and criteria for promotion.
- Provide direction, focus, and leadership for content designers, including creating a team charter. Partner with other teams at Hootsuite to ensure that content design is a core tenet of Hootsuite’s software development lifecycle, including localization. Deliver UI text and other supportive content experiences for each customer-facing release.
- Deliver on a global unified content strategy that supports the complete Hootsuite customer journey by developing in-product text and ensuring that customers have in-product information that helps them to successfully use Hootsuite and grow their social media marketing expertise.
- Measure and report the effectiveness of our UX content, iterate, and improve.
- Create simple, approachable, modern and conversational content that enables customers to self-serve while growing their expertise.
- Partner with the customer support organization to design, review and/or modify content to ensure that leading drivers of “how-to” questions are considered as opportunities to increase the effectiveness of UI text.
- Establish a direct feedback loop with customers to prioritize and validate content decisions.
- Conduct content research to inform terminology, wayfinding, content density, structure, and sequencing, and understand customer mental models.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- Lengthy experience in progressive User Experience or Content Publishing roles including at least two years of experience focused on content design in SAAS products. You bring experience leading teams that serve a global audience plus experience developing content for a mix of audiences from consumer and small business to Enterprise. As a Content Designer, you know how to support and prioritize SAAS product releases, and work on longer term investments, side-by-side.
- You are creative and passionate about modern, intuitive, content design and have a varied portfolio that showcases this.
- You have experience partnering with developers, and also with UX Designers including using Figma, Sketch, InVision, or similar. (We use Figma).
- You have experience partnering across organizations both in developing standards for UX content as well as on individual projects.
- You have experience with measuring and improving the performance and effectiveness of content design.
- We’re helping customers who want to support and drive their business with social media marketing. A background in business-focused social media is a plus.
- Experience with usability testing and experimentation is a bonus.
- Experience with XML-based publishing tools, GitHub, and industry-standard Content Management Systems (CMS) is helpful.
- A Bachelor's degree in a related discipline is helpful but not required. If you have UX design experience, UX writing training, or UX writing certification -- these are all a plus!
- You are comfortable with a fast-paced environment, able to adapt and help others evolve their work and roles.
- Accountability: holds self and others accountable to meet commitments
- Collaboration and Teamwork: works with others to deliver results, meaningfully contributing to the team and prioritizing group needs over individual needs
- Creativity and Innovation: seeks new and better ways of doing things, generates original and imaginative ideas, products, or solutions
- Customer Focus: demonstrates a desire to proactively help and serve internal/external customers meet their needs
- Decision Making: consistently chooses the best course of action (from a number of alternatives) to address business problems and/or opportunities
- Influence: Asserts own ideas and persuades others, gaining support and commitment and mobilizing people to take action
- Resilience, Tolerance for Change/Ambiguity: can effectively cope with change, finding ways to advance work and projects
- Builds inclusive, cohesive teams which apply diversity to achieve common goals
- Capably delivers results through others, is good at establishing clear direction, helping others achieve their best work
- Identifies key issues and relationships relevant to achieving a long-range goal or vision; Builds an integrated plan for course of action to accomplish this vision
- Challenges and supports others to create results but also develop new capabilities. Successfully develops the capacity and capability of the team and individuals on the team.
WHO YOU ARE:
- Tenacious. You are determined to succeed, and you are motivated by the success of customers, colleagues and the community.
- Curious. You are always learning and seeking ways to make things better.
- Conscientious. You keep your promises, taking your commitments to others seriously, and you have strong integrity.
- Humble. You lead with humility and empathy, respecting and learning from the perspectives of others.
In all we do, our six guiding principles light the way:
Step Up: Show the world what it looks like to live and work by these guiding principles. #StepUp
One Team: Make Hootsuite a place where everyone feels safe, welcome, valued, and empowered to do their best work without compromising who they are. #OneTeam #FreeToBeMe
Customer Obsessed: Focus relentlessly on helping our customers succeed. #CustomerObsessed
Go Fast, Be Agile: Widen our competitive advantage by committing to speed and simplicity over perfection and complexity. #GoFastBeAgile
Play to Win: Commit to building an incredible, profitable company for our customers, our employees, and our stakeholders. #PlayToWin #NoExcuses
Neighbours & Allies: Give back to our communities and be an ally. #SocialForGood #Allies
Accommodations will be provided as requested by candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.