City : Edmonton
Category : Permanent Full Time
Industry : Utilities
Employer : EPCOR
Highlights of the job
We are looking for an experienced individual to join the Public and Government Relations team as Manager, Operational Communications to support Electricity Operations.
Talk about how our next transmission project will ensure safe, reliable power for our growing communities. Share the work our crews do to keep the lights on in Edmonton more than 99% of the time. Promote emergency preparedness and safety around power lines. Apply a strategic lens to employee initiatives and shape stories that illustrate how we count on each other to deliver the services our communities count on.
Most importantly, apply your excellent coaching skills and empower your team members whose dedication is only rivalled by their desire to contribute to a positive working environment.
You are experienced and enjoy working alongside a varied client base. You’re as interested in the perspectives of the long-time foreman as you are in providing guidance to our leaders on current events. People credit you for being calm when faced with an issue, even if it’s the emergencies that attract you to an operational environment.
Operational communications is just that. We support operations, connecting them with the rest of Team EPCOR and with our customers.
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Operational Communications, you will join a team of communication and consultation professionals. You’ll engage in employee and customer communications and issues management, and deliver thoughtful, strategic plans that leverage multiple channels to achieve business unit and EPCOR goals.
The successful candidate will embrace a fast-paced environment where you instill similar attention to detail and organizational skills in the team members to whom you’ll provide strong mentorship.
This position may be eligible for EPCOR’s hybrid work program.
What you’d be responsible for
- Recruiting, developing and leading a strong and diverse team, including setting appropriate goals and expectations with corresponding performance metrics.
- Leading internal communications initiatives that align with EPCOR’s brand and values, advance business unit priorities and address operational needs.
- Providing strategic recommendations to a myriad of internal clients that result in relevant, engaging and timely messages for diverse audiences.
- Executing on communications plans using many platforms and tactics, and measuring and reporting on those results.
- Managing issues, providing media responses and acting as a spokesperson for business unit responsibilities in emergency response situations.
- Adept at providing responses to external stakeholders to support understanding and awareness of complex issues.
- Overseeing and playing a hands-on role in the execution of day-to-day operational communications activities tied to business unit goals, such as safety and customer experience.
- Continually defining ways to increase stakeholder satisfaction and to deepen working relationships internally and externally.
- Identifying and analyzing issues affecting Electricity Operations’ business and establishing initiatives for continuous improvement to ensure objectives are achieved.
- Producing high-quality work that reflects strong attention to detail.
- Leading by example with the behaviours, attitudes and mindset consistent with a positive organizational culture.
What’s required to be successful
- Bachelor’s degree with preference to an education in Public Relations, Communications or Marketing from a recognized post-secondary institution. A general business or liberal arts education, or a diploma-level education, combined with relevant work experience would be considered
- 7+ years of experience with a career that reflects external and internal communications expertise
- Experience managing communications and issues in an operational environment and within a complex organization, along with proven success leading a cross-functional team and influencing across organizational boundaries
- Strong communicator in all formats with a track record that shows excellent judgment, critical thinking and an ability to weave your communications/public relations expertise into varied products
- Demonstrated success in delivering effective, measurable communications programs and in applying research to achieve positive outcomes
- Experience in developing stakeholder communications materials and presentations and knowledge of customer experience trends
- Thorough understanding of current and emerging digital channels and how they can optimize communications strategies
- Skilled in media, crisis communications and emergency response with Incident Command System training considered an asset
- Understanding of the utility industry, Alberta power markets and regulated businesses are assets
- Experience managing budgets with an understanding of financial reports
- Proven team leader and collaborator who focuses on creating a positive work culture
Other important facts about this job
Hours of work: 80 hours biweekly
Application deadline: April 5, 2023
Internal applicants: please ensure that you are using your “@epcor.com” email address.
Learn more about Working at EPCOR!
Follow us on LinkedIn, Twitter, Glassdoor or Facebook!
Please note the following information:
- A requirement of working for EPCOR is that you are at least 18 years of age, successfully attained a high school diploma (GED, or equivalent level of secondary education) and legally entitled to work in Canada. (A copy of a valid work permit may be required.)
- If you are considered for the position, clearance on all applicable background checks (which may include criminal, identity, educational, and/or credit) and professional reference checks is required. Some EPCOR positions require an enhanced level of background assessment, which is dictated by law. These positions require advanced criminal record checks that must also be conducted from time to time after commencement of employment.
- A technical/practical assessment may be administered during the selection process and this exercise will be used as a part of the selection criterion.
- To meet the physical demands required of some positions, candidates must be in good physical condition and willing to work in all weather conditions. Clearance on pre-placement medical and drug and alcohol testing may be required.