City : ON, CA, L1N 9M4
Category : Regular Full Time, Maintenance
Industry : Public Utilities
Employer : Ontario Power Generation
Status: Regular Full Time
Working Conditions: Hybrid work model
Education Level: 4 Year Engineering or Applied Science Degree in Chemistry
Location: Pickering or Bowmanville, ON
Travel: Yes - 10%
Deadline to Apply: September 23, 2023
Electrify your career and help build a brighter tomorrow.
Every generation has a challenge that defines them. At OPG, we are calling on all innovators, disruptors, thought leaders and change-makers. Join us to electrify life in one generation and build a sustainable future powered by our electricity, our ideas, and our people. Join OPG and make history.
Whether you work in the skilled trades or are a business professional, a career at OPG is an opportunity to electrify your life on -- and off -- the job.
OPG is committed to fostering an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment where all employees feel valued, respected, and supported. If you require accommodation during the application or interview process, please advise us as soon as possible so appropriate arrangements can be made. If you require information in a format that is accessible to you, please contact AODA@opg.com
NEW CAMPUS: In late 2024, OPG is establishing our new campus at 1908 Colonel Sam Drive, Oshawa, Ontario. The new campus will provide a cutting-edge work environment that fosters collaboration and innovation.
Ontario Power Generation (OPG) is looking for a dynamic, strategic, and results-driven professional to join our team in the role of Manager Chemistry located in Pickering or Bowmanville, Ontario.
The Manager Chemistry position is responsible providing leadership, direction and coordination for the Site Environment and Chemistry program. This position ensures compliance with all applicable regulatory and/or licensing requirements with respect to the operation of the Chemical Laboratory and environmental obligations. As the Manager Chemistry, you will play a key role in overseeing and coordinating our chemistry department’s activities to ensure efficient operations and successful project outcomes. You will be involved in planning, organizing, and executing various research and development projects, as well as ensuring compliance with safety regulations and quality standards. Additionally, you will collaborate with cross functional teams to support product development and drive continuous improvement.
This is an exciting opportunity to work in an environment where you will contribute to OPG’s public outreach, engagement and education efforts as part of the company’s commitment to growing its social license.
- Establish processes and controls.
- Implement standards for performance of all site work.
- Provide guidance to line managers regarding implementation of, and efficiency and effectiveness improvements to their programs and processes .
- Provide technical support to other functions as required.
- Carry out chemistry sampling/monitoring and operate the chemistry lab.
- Monitor and test chemistry for availability and functionality. Acquire maintenance and engineering support to remedy deficiencies.
- Enhance and upgrade the capabilities and performance of the station through improved chemistry control support.
- Participate as a member of the Management Team, and influence line managers regarding effective implementation of, and efficiency and effectiveness improvements to their programs and processes.
- Fulfill the role of Environmental Management System representative for the site as required under ISO 14001.
- Maintain positive working relationships with government agencies to resolve, promote or discuss relevant issues. Obtain regulatory approvals as required to meet site needs.
- Participate in community council meetings, public forums, awareness groups or other outside agencies to promote Nuclear' s environmental stewardship.
- Carry out liaison with system engineers, Corporate and industry, to establish process chemistry control for long term asset preservation.
- Establish and maintain equipment and lab capability in support of emergency response.
- Perform field instrument surveillance and maintain instruments in conjunction with station maintenance.
- Review and approve vendor quality controls for process and lab chemical supplies.
- Participate in Corporate Functional Area Manager (CFAM) forums to ensure alignment on OPG’s, Nuclear chemical and environmental management goals.
- A 4 Year Engineering or Applied Science Degree in Chemistry or a related discipline is required
- 5 - 7 years of experience in a research and development environment, with a proven track record of successfully managing chemistry projects and teams.
- Solid understanding of laboratory operations, safety protocols, and regulatory compliance.
- Proficiency in various analytical techniques and instrumentation
- Excellent project management skills, including planning, organizing, and prioritizing.
- Continuous learning mindset and a passion for staying updated with the latest scientific advancements.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills. Ability to identify process improvements areas and produce solutions to the challenges.
- Excellent leadership and management skills. Experience leading a team, effectively managing employees, delegating tasks, providing guidance, succession planning and the ability to effectively collaborate with cross-functional teams and stakeholders.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; ability to influence and communicate effectively across the company and externally at all levels.
- Strong sense of urgency and decision-making skills conducive to managing priorities and meeting internal and external timelines.
- Strong interpersonal skills, experience in maintaining productive relationships.
The successful candidate will exhibit uncompromising integrity and commitment to upholding corporate values, and the OPG Code of Business Conduct.
As Ontario’s largest clean energy generator, we’re building, expanding, and innovating the equipment and technology that keeps Ontario powered with clean, reliable energy.
At OPG, our values are our strengths. They are fundamental truths about our organization that don’t change:
Safety – it’s our business
Integrity – always lead with integrity
Excellence – never satisfied with good enough
Inclusion – working together for powerful outcomes
Innovation - creativity accelerates possibility
Here's why OPG might just be the ideal workplace for you:
- Exceptional range of opportunities province-wide
- Long-term career growth and development opportunities
- Electricity is vital to the province and OPG’s clean electricity is helping decarbonize other sectors.
Our promise to you:
- We care about the safety and the well-being of our employees. It is our utmost priority.
- A supportive work environment where you can be your best every day.
- Opportunities to stretch and develop.
- Offer different ways for you to give back to communities where we operate.
- Partner with Indigenous communities and support local businesses.
- We support employment equity, diversity and inclusion.
Are you ready to start a career that has the power to electrify life on and off the job? Apply now.
Please submit your application online at https://jobs.opg.com/ by 11:59 PM E.S.T., September 23, 2023. OPG thanks all those who apply; however, only candidates considered for an interview will be contacted.