Manager, Chapter Lead
City : North York
Category : Full-time
Industry : Finance
Employer : Sun Life Financial
You are as unique as your background, experience and point of view. Here, you’ll be encouraged, empowered and challenged to be your best self. You'll work with dynamic colleagues - experts in their fields - who are eager to share their knowledge with you. Your leaders will inspire and help you reach your potential and soar to new heights. Every day, you'll have new and exciting opportunities to make life brighter for our Clients - who are at the heart of everything we do. Discover how you can make a difference in the lives of individuals, families and communities around the world.
Manager, Chapter Lead, Software Engineering
Sun Life has embarked on a Digital Enterprise transformation and our Data & Analytics team will evolve as we move through the transformation. The Manager, Chapter Lead is key to supporting this transformation as we focus on the development of our people. The Manager, Chapter Lead is the people manager within a discipline or competency. They focus on skill/people development within their Chapter and continuous improvement of the overall Chapter discipline. This includes developing Software Engineers through peer-coaching, training, and mentorship, and ensuring that teams have the capabilities needed to succeed.
What will you do?
- Manage a team of 15-20 direct reports (Software Engineers) within a specific discipline.
- Proactively and reactively hiring new Chapter Members
- Performance management of direct reports
- Provide career development and career pathing for the Chapter Members
- Business or technical knowledge in the Software Engineering discipline
- Participates in the upskilling of the chapter by collaborating with the Chapter Director and Technical Leads
- Connects with similar Chapter leads across Sun Life to share best practices.
- Work closely with the Chapter Director to provide skilled resources from the chapter.
- Help to ensure resources are allocated appropriately (not over/under supplied).
Mindset and Behaviors
- Visible passion for S/W Engineering subject area, participation in domain activities and groups
- Ability to create an atmosphere of trust and a comfortable/efficient work environment.
- Supports culture of recognizing and rewarding employees
- Collaborate with other stakeholders to advance the objectives of the chapter around skill development and continuous improvement around the chapter model.
- Champion recognition opportunities and ensure recognition is awarded in a timely manner.
What you need to succeed:
- 10 years of working knowledge of the Software Engineering discipline
- People Management and development experience
- Software Engineering experience is a must ( Java, Python, Kafka)
- A proven track record of attracting and developing a team of skilled professionals along with experience using different approaches to retain talent.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- The capability to build and support a high performing, highly motivated and engaged team of IT professionals.
- The ability to support the team as they deal with organizational changes related to DE along with helping the team master new DE ways of working (e.g. test and learn, fast fail, working in agile teams)
The Base Pay range is for the primary location for which the job is posted. It may vary depending on the work location of the successful candidate or other factors. In addition to Base Pay, eligible Sun Life employees participate in various incentive plans, payment under which is discretionary and subject to individual and company performance. Certain sales focused roles have sales incentive plans based on individual or group sales results.
Diversity and inclusion have always been at the core of our values at Sun Life. A diverse workforce with wide perspectives and creative ideas benefits our clients, the communities where we operate and all of us as colleagues. We welcome applications from qualified individuals from all backgrounds.
Persons with disabilities who need accommodation in the application process or those needing job postings in an alternative format may e-mail a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
At Sun Life we strive to create a flexible work environment where our employees are empowered to do their best work. Several flexible work options are available and can be discussed throughout the selection process depending on the role requirements and individual needs.
We thank all applicants for showing an interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Salary Range:80,000/80 000 - 130,400/130 400
Job Category:IT - Technology Services
Posting End Date: