Manager, Business Operations
City : Vancouver
Category : Engineering Services
Industry : Government
Employer : City of Vancouver
Requisition ID: 38537
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Peoples, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and Canada's Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
The Manager, Business Operations connects the work of operations labour in the field and administrative practices carried out by a team of Clerks, Graphics Technicians and Engineering Assistants under their direction. The role provides continuous business improvement, analysis and effective management of budget to support strategic initiatives and projects to enhance service delivery.
The Manager, Business Operations reports to the Superintendent II, Operations Support and works closely with the Branch Manager and Sanitation Leadership Team. The Manager also works closely with other Engineering Branches, City Departments and external stakeholders.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
Business Planning & Implementation:
- Participates as a member of the management team to set branch strategies, goals and budget targets; with a focus on initiatives that impact the Administration Team
- Manage the development, resourcing, implementation and documentation of Branch business processes/systems within area of responsibility and creates and environment of continuous improvement to ensure customer service metrics and budget targets are achieved
- Establish, revise, analyze and report branch metrics for area of responsibility; participate in Branch benchmarking activities as part of management team
- Coordinate and participate in various management meetings including developing agenda, minutes and tracking action items
- Provide leadership and establishes work expectations and goals for the branch administrative team
- Conduct performance reviews and manage ongoing performance, including discipline as necessary, of direct reports. Collaborates with Superintendent II, Branch Manager and HR on performance issues as needed
- Provide guidance and coordination of Branch Attendance Management, Stay-At-Work and Return-To-Work programs
- With Superintendent II, Operations Support, lead, create and establish branch staffing and recruitment plan, and manage the provision of administrative support for recruitment activities
- Manage time entry process for all branch workgroups
- In conjunction with the Branch Manager, Superintendents IIs and with the support of the division Financial Analyst, develop baseline budgets, forecasts and reports for annual branch budgets (collections, street cleaning and administration)
- Ensure creation and maintenance of daily activity accounts including managing journal vouchers, workflows, invoices, shopping cart process and other associated tasks
- Lead and manage the administration of the work order process as performed by administration team
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Education and Experience
- Post-secondary education, preferably a university or college degree in management, or administration
- A minimum of 3-5 years of supervisory or leadership experience (preferably in an unionized environment) or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Demonstrated project management experience
- Demonstrated experience in managing complex work flows and multi-tasking under pressure and on deadline
- Demonstrated experience in guiding and working in a collaborative environment
Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- Strong orientation toward detail, customer service and creativity in problem-solving
- Strong problem solving, process improvement and team player approach
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of internal contacts and team members to provide advice, information and assistance
- Highly trustworthy; capable of handling business critical, confidential and sensitive information
- Ability to develop budgets, manage and provide advice on cost control, and set goals
- Ability to develop goals and objectives in area of responsibility and contribute to development of Branch goals and objectives
- Ability to articulate clear expectations for staff and provide leadership required to set performance goals
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage employees through methods of coaching, mentoring, training and motivating staff.
- Effective leadership skills with experience in conflict resolution and team building
- Knowledge of Collective Agreement principles and practice, experience with HR policies and information systems is an asset
- Sound planning, organizational and project management skills
- Strong analytical skills to problem-solve complex issues
- Solid interpersonal skills to promote a supportive, respectful and safe work environment
- Considerable computer skills are an asset; in particular, Windows-based business applications such as MSOffice
A current and valid Class 5 BC Drivers License and a satisfactory driving record.
Where operationally appropriate and subject to change, the City of Vancouver has a Flexible Work Program. This program allows staff to work remotely 1 – 4 days a week from locations that are a daily commutable distance from their work at a City worksite. At this time this position is eligible to be part of the Flexible Work Program.
The City’s COVID-19 vaccination policy is currently suspended and as a result, vaccination against COVID-19 is not required at this time. However, should circumstances change and the City deem it necessary to re-introduce such policy, you may be required to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be eligible to continue performing your duties.
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: June 2023
Salary Information: Salary Range 70: $80,458 to $100,573 per year
Application Close: June 7, 2023 At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Before you click Apply now
Once you start your application you can save your work and leave the applications page, however please remember to submit your profile to the specific job requisition before the posting closing date.
In addition to uploading your cover letter and resume, part of the application process may include answering application questions related to the preferred requirements of the role which may take approx.. 5-10mins. Cover letters should express interest and highlight additional information relevant to the position and resumes should include a tailored summary of skills and experience related to the position.