City : Any
Category : Full-time
Industry : Telecommunications
Employer : Shaw
A little about us
At Shaw, we’re proud to be leaders in a movement that brings Canadians the connectivity they need to fuel their lives. We’re making bold moves to connect Canadians and we’re always on the lookout for go-getters that are committed to disrupting the status quo. Does that sound like you? We’d love to meet you.
Are you passionate about continuous improvement – in both system reliability and in incident reduction? Do you love data and operating a multifaceted ecosystem that feeds information to thousands of data citizens? Are you a technical thought leader who also has the knack to develop and coach people? If you like working on challenging solutions surrounded by committed teams, peers, and leaders, then we want to meet you. Data Strategy is expanding our footprint at Shaw and we are looking for an experienced technical leader in the BI & Data Operations team. This role reports to the Director, BI & Data Operations, and includes managing a team of direct reports and third-party support teams. This role will be in close partnership with the Manager, Big Data, the Manager, Freedom BI Team and the Team Lead, BI Ops, and will also collaborate extensively with other technical departments across Shaw including Business Management Applications, Enterprise Technology, Data Center Infrastructure, and NOC/Incident Management.
A typical day
The Manager, BI Operations & SRE (Site Reliability Engineering) is ultimately responsible for the security, performance, efficiency, and incident response in the BI & Data Operations (Enterprise) team. Our mission is to continuously improve and look for new ways to support our environment, introduce automation, and increase our productivity and data reliability.
• Security First Mindset – protecting our customer data is our #1 priority
• Champion Automation - minimize incidents and callouts with robust data controls, automation, and self-healing approaches
• Introduce AIOps - lead activities to automate toil
• Develop and report on SRE metrics
• CI/CD (Continuous Integration/ Continuous Delivery) - ensure source code is maintained and deployed according to the appropriate approval/ release strategies
• Operational Readiness Testing (ORT) - define, implement and test for failover/ backup strategies
• Incorporate DevOps and Agile principals in daily support activities
• Leadership – mentor, coach and support the team’s professional development
• Experience as a Solutions Architect, Data Engineer, Tech Lead/Manager or System/ Software Engineering
• Strength and experience in Application, Integration, Solution, Data and Infrastructure Architectures
• Broad experience architecting large, complex, inter-dependent systems in big corporations.
• Work in partnership with the technical leads and developers, making sure that they are able to realize the architecture, by a combination of mentoring and direct involvement
• Ability to function at all levels: from strategic to tactical; from reactive problem solving to proactive analytical thinking; to proof of concepts and pure research
• Experience in enforcing projects and programs to follow an overall architectural strategy and processes
• Ability to justify designs, objectively using technology designs and patterns
• Comfort working intimately with resources from both technical and non-technical backgrounds
• Knowledge of emerging technologies
• Solid command of the English language
• Experience in developing and delivering presentations to all levels of the organization up to executive level
• Expert Technical Writing Skills
• Expert written and verbal communication skills
• With the team currently working remotely due to COVID, this role may
• Travel is not required for this role.
Shaw Communications, through its third-party vendor, collects and stores information applicable to the candidate profile you create when you submit the information asked for below. The use and disclosure of the collected information is for the sole purpose of job search and placement activities for Shaw Communications. The information is subject to Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act. The information will be retained and when disposed of, it is done so in a secure manner. Your profile will become inactive and moved to the archive if you do not access your profile for a period of 1 year.
Subscribe to our newsletter & stay updated