Manager, Accounting and Financial Reporting
City : Banff
Category : Finance
Industry : Charitable and Non-profit
Employer : Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity
Manager, Accounting and Financial Reporting
Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity aims to inspire everyone who attends our campus – artists, leaders, and thinkers – to unleash their creative potential.
We acknowledge, with deep respect and gratitude, our home on the side of Sacred Buffalo Guardian Mountain. In the spirit of respect and truth, we honour and acknowledge the Banff area, known as “Minhrpa” (translated in Stoney Nakoda as “the waterfalls”) and the Treaty 7 territory and oral practices of the Îyârhe Nakoda (Stoney Nakoda) – comprised of the Bearspaw, Chiniki, and Wesley First Nations – as well as the Tsuut’ina First Nation and the Blackfoot Confederacy comprised of the Siksika, Piikani, Kainai. We acknowledge that this territory is home to the Shuswap Nations, Ktunaxa Nations, and Metis Nation of Alberta, Region 3. We acknowledge all Nations who live, work, and play, help us steward this land, and honour and celebrate this place.
The Manager, Accounting and Financial Reporting is responsible for the oversight of accounting operations, external financial reporting, execution and delivery of institutional financial and tax reporting, completion of external audits, policy and procedure development, and financial management of Banff Centre endowments within Financial Services at Banff Centre.
Roles and Responsibilities
Reporting to Associate Director, Finance and Planning, below are some key accountabilities:
Accounting Operations – Controls and Procedures
- Oversee the maintenance and integrity of the general ledger, chart of accounts and other accounting records/transaction processing; control access to accounting systems; coordinates all month-end closings.
- Exercise considerable judgment and discretion to approve and/or prepare account reconciliations, journal entries, payment requests, purchase requests, expense claims, inventory adjustments, etc.
- Assist with the determination of appropriate accounting treatment for assets, liabilities, pre-paid expenses, leases, deferrals, gifts, grants and third-party funding; approve transfers of funds in accordance with donor/grantor restrictions and ensure that receipts and expenditures are accounted for properly.
- Provide oversight and back-up for the Corporate and Purchasing Card programs, acts as merchant services liaison, and oversees record management.
- File non-resident (T4A-NR & NR4) individual/summary tax forms, complete monthly payments and oversight of monthly returns.
- File annual ATL and TIF return and complete online payments with oversight of monthly collection and calculations of payable amount.
- Oversight of GST reconciliation and filing and complete monthly online payments.
- Coordinates the year-end closing of the books, establishing timelines and procedures for processing by Financial Services and campus departments, assigns and oversees tasks required to complete the year-end close.
Audit, Controls, and Systems
- Primary contact for external auditors to plan and coordinate the interim and year-end audits for Banff Centre, the TBC Foundation and other financial audits as required.
- Proactively identifies and addresses internal control issues and other financial concerns throughout Banff Centre.
Endowments and Grants
- Ensures the integrity and accuracy of all endowment fund records. Reconciles endowment activity and fund balances with Development Office to support external matching grants, donor annual reports, and reports to the Board on the endowment.
- Reviews for filing all reports of activity on program operating and special purpose grants
Tax and Compliance
- Reviews for filing all Canadian and US tax returns for Banff Centre and TBC Foundation; completes regular updates of GST rebate analyses and rates. Ensures the timely completion of all corporate filings and compliance with the unclaimed property laws and other provincial/federal legislation.
- Administers the Centre’s insurance program, including responding to internal and external requests for insurance coverage certification, reviewing and approving insurance provisions in contract documents, overseeing the preparation and submission of all materials for the annual insurance renewal, and handling all insurance claims.
Systems and Processes
- Participates in the design, development, and implementation of new accounting systems or tools, and the on-going accounting process review and redesign.
- Plan and oversee the cash disbursement processes, ensure available funds are in appropriate bank accounts to clear cheques and preauthorized payments.
- Approve online payments for all EFT/Wire transactions
- Liaise with bank representatives to clear payment issues and initiate set up access to existing users with banking functions, and adding new products or services
Human Resources Management
- Enables the Accounting staff to function as a high performing team at all times, maintaining open communication, clear objectives and priorities, and a culture of positive behavioral intent.
- Ensures that employees fully understand their roles, responsibilities, and performance standards and provide ongoing formal and informal feedback, coaching and support.
- Provides day to day leadership, direction and supervision to direct reports effectively allocating assignments across the Accounting Department. (Oversees workload).
- Interact with a wide range of Centre personnel to respond to inquiries, provide advice, and resolve problems in a positive, effective, and equitable manner.
- Interact with both internal and external customers of Banff Centre and respond appropriately to a wide range of inquiries, conflicts, work requests and other similar situations.
Qualifications and Educational Requirements
- University Degree in Finance or Business
- CPA Designation with experience in a public accounting practice is preferred.
- 5+ years of financial accounting experience
- 3+ years of management experience.
- Experience in being fully responsible for financial systems, records, data and accounts.
- Understanding of management control and accounting principles, procedures, and processes.
- Current knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and financial reporting standards for the public sector, taxation laws and regulations, and other aspects associated with the professional and technical requirements of the position.
- Develop and maintain highly effective working relationships with staff, peers and Centre management as well as external contacts with whom the Centre conducts business.
- Superior interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Proven ability to effectively hire, train and supervise staff.
- Highly organized and attentive to detail.
- Able to work independently, prioritize and advance many assignments.
- This position has the flexibility to work remotely but may be required to attend monthly department meetings on campus.
Employment Terms and Benefits
- In accordance with the terms of employment governing Management/PSP employees, this is a salaried, fulltime position, subject to a 6 month probationary period.
- The successful candidate will enjoy twenty paid vacation days and four personal days annually, extended medical and dental benefits, and participation in an employer-matched pension plan.
- Benefits of working at Banff Centre are:
- Staff housing options (based on availability)
- Professional Development
- Staff cafeteria and restaurant discounts
- Onsite fitness facility at a discounted rate – first month free for new staff!
- We are accepting applications for the Manager, Accounting and Financial Reporting position until a suitable candidate is found.
- Candidates offered a position with Banff Centre, in this capacity, will be required to obtain a criminal record check verifying a clear record before a final job offer can be finalized.
- Visa Requirements: Candidates must be legally eligible to work in Canada. Banff Centre is unable to assist candidates in obtaining Canadian work authorization.