Major Projects Lead, Buildings, CA East
City : Val-d'Or
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Major Projects Lead, Buildings, CA East - ( 230003PH )
Stantec Buildings is on a mission to become the world’s leading integrated design practice. Our architects, engineers, interior designers, sustainability specialists, and technologists are passionate about the power of design. We take an innovative, collaborative approach to projects, sharing a common belief that sustainable design for the built environment can make the world a better place for future generations. Join us and design your place with Stantec.
Announcing an exciting opportunity to join Buildings’ Major Projects team driving a portfolio of large, complex projects within our US and Canada regions. We are seeking a Regional Major Projects Lead to support the Canada East portfolio and collaborate with team members across our North American major projects’ portfolio.
In response to the accelerating market demand for APD projects, in 2021, Buildings reorganized the Major Projects team around our regions. Each region’s Major Project Lead serves as a dedicated partner to the region, partnering with the project teams to enhance project delivery of major projects (APD over $100k in fee or conventional delivery over $10m fee).
In this capacity, you will have the opportunity to provide leadership for a portfolio of diverse and complex project types across US and Canadian markets. This is an exciting opportunity to grow and strengthen your regional responsibility and facilitate practice-level impact. Additionally, you will gain frequent exposure to Buildings executive leadership and the C-Suite. The role reports to the Buildings Project Management Discipline Leader and is a direct partner to the Regional Business Leaders serving as a stakeholder for the region’s major projects with an eye towards supporting and simplifying processes for the Project Management team.
The Regional Major Projects Lead’s home office may be in any Buildings office location in the regions they would be supporting.
If you are looking to be actively involved in a portfolio of complex projects, diversify your project leadership across all sectors, and take your commercial management and project delivery experience to the next level, we encourage you to explore this internal promotion opportunity.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Contractor and CM business development support to our practitioners
- Project management
- Complete project life cycle commercial management of a portfolio of projects within the region
- Risk and Risk Review
- Project Controls and Project Management oversight and potential training
- Proactively collaborate and interface with other Regional Major Projects Leads, project teams, Stantec’s clients, subconsultants as well as with Stantec leadership, risk management, legal counsel, finance, and insurance group.
- Support negotiation between Stantec’s PM, the client and subconsultants, including:
+ Familiarizing oneself with the entire contract, including legal terms
+ Being involved in the development, negotiation, and documentation of Stantec’s fee, scope, and schedule
+ Examining and, if required, negotiating the subconsultant’s fee, scope, and schedule to eliminate (or at least minimize) gap risk.
- Support negotiation and resolution of commercial issues with the client and subconsultants throughout the life of the project, while engaging the Stantec project team where appropriate.
- Review Major Projects proposals in the region and advise on scope, approach, exclusions, team, deliverables, and schedule.
- Work with the overall project team to develop creative, proper, and practical ideas and solutions.
- Establish processes (including development of the project management and design management plans) to facilitate project delivery in a way that is easy to understand and follow, flexible to allow for unforeseen issues and compliant with the project requirements.
- Participate in contract claims and dispute resolution, including collaborating with Stantec Risk Management to draft correspondence in response to claims.
- Collaborate in Risk Management processes on each major project to mitigate Stantec risk.
- Manage some major projects including project team, cost, schedule, and quality.
- Oversight of project controls teams’ deliverables on projects.
- Potential training of project controls and recruitment support of project controls staff.
- Exercise independent judgment, following consultation with appropriate project team members and advisors.
- Coordinate and collaborate with primary GC/CM account management team.
- Participate in BOURC meetings for APD and large fee projects in your region.
- Coordinate with the other Regional Major Projects Leads for training, systems, documentation, project controls, and project management improvements for major projects, which can also improve other projects.
Target Utilization (65%-75%)
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- A minimum of fifteen years of experience successfully managing large projects with experience managing at least two projects over $10M in fees.
- Active professional registration preferred - Professional Engineer, Architect or Certified CM.
- Strong contractual and technical knowledge as well as extensive understanding of the construction industry and the applicable project delivery model (e.g. design-build, P3, IPD, etc.)
- Knowledge of scheduling, project controls, and document controls concepts, and how to successfully incorporate these teams into projects.
- Strong negotiator
- High attention to detail
- Strong analytical skills
- Excellent communicator both internally and externally including verbal and written communication
- Ability to work collaboratively with a multidisciplinary team while seamlessly transitioning to a leadership role where the situation requires it
- Demonstrated leadership competencies – act as a highly regarded leader, collaborator and a source of counsel and advice
- Strong client and subconsultant liaison skills
- Flexible and adaptable
- Fluency in French a plus
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each others’ talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best. #DesignYourPlace
Benefits Summary: Full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
Primary Location : Canada-Ontario-Toronto
Other Locations : Canada-Newfoundland and Labrador-St. John's, Canada-Nova Scotia-Dartmouth, Canada-Quebec-Trois-Rivières, Canada-Quebec-Montréal, Canada-Quebec-Ville de Québec, Canada-Quebec-Val-d'Or, Canada-Ontario-Ottawa, Canada-Quebec-Longueuil, Canada-Ontario-Waterloo
Work Locations :
Organization : BC-1454 Buildings-CA National
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : No
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Sep 12, 2023, 12:09:15 PM
Req ID: 230003PH
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans