Maintenance Worker – Fort St. John
City : British Columbia
Category : Other
Industry : Real estate and rental and leasing
Employer : BC Housing
Performs general and emergency maintenance and repair duties for Commission-owned properties, including those operated by non-profit housing providers.
The successful candidate will have the following:
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
1. Performs maintenance and repair duties:
- Troubleshoots and performs electrical repairs and maintenance such as repairing/replacing damaged wires, receptacles, ballasts, switches, fans, electrical fixtures, baseboard heaters, thermostats, change breakers, smoke alarms and thermocouples, as qualified;
- Repairing/replacing plumbing fixtures and hardware including toilets, sinks and basins, water lines (under two inches in diameter), caulking and sanitary and storm piping;
- Performs general carpentry repairs and maintenance such as replacing counter tops, cupboards, wall tiles, replace sheet vinyl, and installing doors, replacing locks on doors and windows, repairing railings, gyproc, painting (except on move out), rollers on sliding doors and windows, weather stripping, trim, repair and adjust door closers and repair hand and balcony rails;
- Performs exterior repairs and maintenance such as cleaning gutters and debris from roofs, minor roof repairs, replacing shingles, flashing repairs and emergency patching and caulking, snaking drains with power augers and repairing and constructing fences, gates and concrete sidewalks, patios and ramps;
- Maintains own inventory of tools as listed in Appendix B, Part I and assists to maintain inventory of equipment and materials;
- Operates Employer's vehicle including trailers to load, unload and deliver materials, tools and equipment and/or Employer's assets;
- Performs routine repairs and maintenance to appliances and equipment;
- Performs routine repairs and maintenance to HVAC equipment;
- Redirects contractors where minor deficiencies in the performance of work specifications are noted and reports on major deviations in contract performance on existing contracts;
- Performs work that requires adherence to safety procedures/practices when dealing with hazards;
- Required to utilize tact and diplomacy and refer tenants to other staff where appropriate. Required to exercise interpersonal and conflict resolution skills when dealing with the resident population.
2. Other related duties:
- Responds to emergencies including non-maintenance calls when Building Manager is not on site and makes emergency repairs or calls emergency services (police, fire, mental health);
- Performs minor electrical, plumbing and carpentry maintenance and emergency repair duties such as changing fuses, resetting thermostats, snaking drains and replacing hardware;
- Performs other related maintenance duties as required in the Building Manager job description.