MAINTENANCE MECHANIC FACILITIES OPS (Toronto, ON, CA, M6C 2K2)
City : Toronto
Category : Buildings, Property Operations & Real Estate
Industry : Government
Employer : City of Toronto
- Job ID: 38362
- Job Category: Buildings, Property Operations & Real Estate
- Division & Section: Corporate Real Estate Management, FM Client Buildings
- Work Location: 149 River St, Toronto, ON
- Job Type & Duration: Full-time, Temporary (up to 35 weeks) vacancy
- Hourly Rate: $35.38
- Hours & Shift Information: Monday to Friday, 40 hours per week 7:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m., with availability to work shift/weekend/overtime/on call as required
- Affiliation: L416 Outside
- Number of Positions Open: 1
- Posting Period: 18-Sep-2023 to 02-Oct-2023
- Perform skilled and semi-skilled tasks in the installation, maintenance, repair of gas equipment (under 400,000 BTU) and other related HVAC Equipment.
- Ensure all Government and Canadian Gas Association codes, standard and regulations are followed during the installation, maintenance and selection of gas related equipment and systems.
- Perform purging, isolating, venting and monitoring gas lines, vessels, gas systems and equipment for the purpose of maintenance, repair, replacement where Gas Fitter 2 Certificate is applicable, by using gas detection equipment, ventilation fans, warning signs, lock-out devices, etc.
- Perform general shop work including the use of oxy-acetylene and electric welding and other tools.
- Perform duties while operating high reach equipment also may be required to operate forklifts and hoisting devices.
- Travel to work location using City vehicle and perform daily vehicle inspection log.
- Communicate effectively verbally and in writing including the preparation of daily/weekly work reports, details of work completed, data logging, etc.
- Utilizes and maintain a variety of hand and power tools and other City owned equipment. Works with various instruments, gauges and test equipment for the testing, calibrating, maintaining and operating of gas equipment systems.
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Must possess and maintain a Gas Fitter G2 Certificate, issued in accordance with Ontario Regulation 826/82, made under the Energy Act.
- Considerable experience as a Gas Fitter.
- Experience in general shop and plumbing practices and the operation of tools required for construction and maintenance of gas systems.
- Must possess and be able to maintain a valid Province of Ontario, Class "G" Driver's Licence and must qualify for the City's equipment operating permits and requirements.
You must also have:
- Extensive knowledge and familiarity with the use, installation and detection of gas equipment, conditions, systems, procedures, safety requirements, materials, components, etc.
- Knowledge of electricity in its single and 3-phase forms, as applied to motors, solenoid valves, etc.
- Thorough knowledge and experience in the installation, repair and testing of mechanical equipment, such as: pumps, compressors, flame arrestors, chlorinators, and associated equipment, with an understanding of the benefits of preventive and predictive maintenance to achieve reliable and economical operation of the facilities.
- Must be familiar the properties/characteristics of Natural Gas, Propane, Acetylene, Ozone gases, liquid and gaseous Chlorine and other chemicals, as well as the Ontario Gas Utilization Code, the Ministry of the Environment and Chlorine Institute recommendations ad publications, the Ontario Boiler and Pressure Vessels Act and all other related regulatory codes that apply to this work.
- Ability to read, and interpret blueprints, sketches and drawings and maintain accurate records and to communicate effectively verbally and in writing. Must be physically capable of performing required duties.
- Must be familiar with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and the regulations that apply to this work.
- With the appropriate safety precautions, must be able to tolerate duty, noisy, heights and odorous conditions. Must be able to work in and have knowledge of confined space entry and regulations.
- Must be available to work shift/weekend/overtime/on call duty.
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
The City is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to creating a workplace culture of inclusiveness that reflects the diverse residents that we serve. Learn more about the City’s commitment to employment equity.
The City of Toronto is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive organization. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require Code-protected accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs. Disability-related accommodation during the application process is available upon request. Learn more about the City’s Hiring Policies and Accommodation Process.