City : Fort Saskatchewan, AB
Category : Full Time Maintenance
Industry : Mining and Quarrying
Employer : Sherritt
Headquartered in Toronto, Sherritt is a world leader in using hydrometallurgical processes to mine and refine nickel and cobalt – metals essential for an electric future. Its Technologies Group creates innovative, proprietary solutions for natural resource- based industries around the world to improve environmental performance and increase economic value.
Sherritt has embarked on a multi-pronged growth strategy focused on expanding nickel and cobalt production by up to 20% from 2021 and extending the life of mine at Moa beyond 2040. The Corporation is also the largest independent energy producer in Cuba. Sherritt’s common shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbol “S”.
Reporting to the Supervisor, Central Shops, the Machinist will be accountable for safe, efficient operation, cleaning of and running adjustments on the equipment within the machine shop. As part of the Asset Management department on the Fort Saskatchewan site, this position is an integral part of the onsite quality program. In this full-time, permanent position, you are required to work in an industrial, safety sensitive work environment.
The position will be based out of our Fort Saskatchewan plant site.
- Accurately measure parts / ensure a precise, high level of Quality on all parts manufactured along with the ability to measure parts using suitable measuring instruments.
- Knowledge and/or experience of adjusting offsets to produce parts to drawing sizes and tolerances.
- Effective tracking of ID numbers, total parts required, amount produced at any given time, and remaining material available.
- Maintain accurate records of dimensions from produced parts, and accurately record quantities produced.
- All measurable dimensions must be 100%
- Develops and maintains communication with appropriate Operations personnel.
- Maintains focus on daily and weekly maintenance tasks to assist with compliance to department schedule.
- Cultivates positive safety behaviors during all work activities including contribution to daily Info center meetings, daily toolbox talks and monthly safety meetings. Ensuring compliance to FLHA, JHA and PPE requirements for work in the central shop and in onsite operating areas.
- Efficient precise documentation of all repairs and maintenance activities through EAM work order system.
- Working knowledge of metals, identification, mechanical properties and machinability.
- Proficient with reading & interpreting manufacturing drawings, Imperial and Metric dimensioning systems, symbols including: Geometrical tolerances, isometrics, sections-views, texture-finishing, limits and fits function.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Journeyperson Machinist Certificate is a requirement
- Previous industrial site experience including operating heavy equipment is considered an asset
- Valid Class 5 Drivers License is a requirement
- Minimum 5+ years related experience and/or training equivalent combination of education and experience in energy, minerals or chemical production industry
- Proficient in the fine tuning of machining parameters
- Highly skilled/proficient in technical writing requiring minimal assistance
- Experience with regulators, industry standards and other external stakeholders
- Exemplary organizational skills with the ability to multitask
- Strong communication skills (written and verbal)
- Ability to foster an inclusive, harassment- free work environment
What Sherritt can Offer You:
- Competitive wage with comprehensive benefits and retirement savings programs that holistically support employee well-being
- Generous paid time off to support and empower employee work/life balance
- Ongoing learning and professional development opportunities within a diverse, inclusive and dynamic work environment
Application Deadline: The job posting will remain open until Thursday - February 16, 2023.
We thank all candidates for their application. Only qualified candidates will be contacted directly and engaged in the interview process.