City : Montréal, QC
Category : Corporate - Legal
Industry : Engineering
Employer : WSP
MONTREAL OR ANY MAJOR LOCATION IN CANADA
WSP is seeking a Legal Counsel to join the Commercial & Contracts Team (Legal Department). Reporting to the Associate General Counsel, the successful candidate will support the Transportation and Infrastructure, Properties and Buildings and/or Earth and Environment WSP business lines (BL).
- We value and are committed to upholding a culture of Inclusion and Belonging
- Our Flexible Work Policy – we recognize the importance of balance in our lives and encourage you to prioritize the balance in yours. We will support you on and off the job so you can be fully present in both your work and home lives.
- Our Hybrid Work Policy - a combination of in-person and remote working, enables us to purposefully think of how we work, who we need to work with, and where the work should be done.
- A Canadian success story - we're proud to wear the red and white of this beautiful country and show the world what Canada has to offer.
- Enhance the world around you - from the environment to the highways, to the buildings and the terrain, WSP is the fabric of Canada.
- Outstanding career opportunities - we're growing and pushing ourselves every day to be greater than yesterday - we're open to your ideas and trying new things.
- A phenomenal collaborative culture and a workforce filled with genuinely good people who are doing humbly important work. Come find out for yourself what it's like to be a part of our journey.
We offer attractive pay, flexible work options, a great corporate culture, comprehensive and employee-focused benefits including virtual healthcare and a wellness platform as well as great savings programs, and a clear vision for the future.
A day in the life:
- Provide legal assistance to the BL for the negotiation, drafting, and interpretation of contracts;
- Provide timely legal advice to project teams throughout the project life cycle;
- Provide legal assistance to internal clients and stakeholders on a variety of issues that impact the business;
- Attend internal meetings with relevant BL stakeholders as well as external meetings with clients;
- Draft and review legal documents, including WSP’s contract templates;
- Review public and private RFPs and assist BL in preparing their service offers;
- Assess business opportunities’ risk profile and present it to various internal risk committees for bid approval;
- Ensure all business opportunities and decisions comply with WSP's internal authorization matrix as well as corporate policies and governance;
- Work with the internal Claims & Litigation Team to assess and advise on contractual disputes or claims;
- Help ensure that projects, contracts and all actions of the company comply with federal and provincial laws and regulations;
- Perform any other tasks deemed necessary to support the legal affairs of WSP as well as any other tasks normally undertaken by members of the Legal Team;
- Provide support for ongoing projects and legal advice in the normal course of business, as required.
What you'll bring to WSP ...
- Member of a Canadian provincial Bar for a minimum of 0-3 years;
- Hybrid work model;
- Excellent communication skills (verbal & written), including to effectively synthesize and simplify complex legal concepts for Upper Management and other company stakeholders;
- Experience in drafting, reviewing, and negotiating commercial agreements (experience in the construction and engineering industry being an asset);
- Good understanding of business fundamentals and risk management;
- Industry knowledge is an asset: knowledge of the company’s BLs, experience in construction/engineering, partnerships (joint ventures, public-private partnerships) and major projects (alternative delivery such as public-private partnerships, design-build, collaborative agreements, and strategic projects);
- Ability to analyze situations effectively in order to lead conflict resolution;
- Strong organizational and analytical skills, and attention to detail;
- Ability to manage multiple urgent projects simultaneously;
- Ability to work with a variety of stakeholders in a multidisciplinary team;
- Willingness to take on new responsibilities and challenges, while remaining focused on a variety of repetitive tasks;
- High degree of autonomy and excellent organizational skills; ability to take initiative and work with minimal supervision;
- Proficient with the Microsoft Office 365 suite.