Legal Assistant (Vancouver, British Columbia, CA)
City : See posting
Category : Other
Industry : Legal Services
Employer : Dentons
Dentons is designed to be different. Our firm leads the way in a rapidly changing legal marketplace. We challenge the status quo, deliver consistent results, uncompromising quality and value to our clients. Our global presence is renowned with over 20,000 individuals in more than 200 offices across 80 countries. Dentons Canada is committed to its people and communities, and is consistently recognized as an employer of choice, having received Canada’s Top Employers for Young People (2022), Canada’s Best Diversity Employers (2022); Mansfield Rule 4.0+ Certification; Chambers Diversity & Inclusion Awards, North America 2021; Canada Law Awards for Pro Bono Initiative of the Year 2021.
The Legal Assistant role requires a unique blend of skills and experience providing legal administrative support in our Corporate Group. The position will require a confident, proactive, reliable and business-minded assistant with the ability to manage multiple tasks and adapt to changing priorities.
The successful candidate will be personable, organized, discreet, detail-oriented, and have a client-first approach to work. In addition, the successful applicant must be team-oriented and accustomed to working as a work team with other assistants.
- Drafting, preparing and proofreading correspondence, accounts and various transactional documents and forms.
- Dealing with and responding to client inquiries expeditiously and conducting follow up; keeping the lawyers apprised of interactions in their absence.
- Opening and maintaining files, both electronic and hard copy as required and maintaining precedent systems using the Firm protocol for knowledge management.
- Preparing and updating cheque requisitions and expense reports.
- Updating and maintaining client/matter lists and current client contact records electronically to meet Dentons’ requirements.
- General administrative duties such as scheduling appointments and meetings, preparing materials and working with other related Departments/services internally to provide documents and other materials on time to meet client needs.
- Demonstrating a team approach; ensuring strict adherence to confidentiality; accountability in relation to both internal and external clients to achieve outputs and goals for the Department and the Firm.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of 2 years of related corporate work experience
- Solid work experience in a legal environment with working knowledge of corporate law
- Demonstrated knowledge of procedures, with an understanding of corporate transaction documents
- Passion for working in a team environment, willing to help others
- Ability to produce a high quality of work, occasionally under tight timelines
- Able to meet deadlines, work well under pressure and take initiative using sound judgment
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (both verbal and written)
- Excellent technical proficiency in Microsoft Office applications
- Knowledge of accounting and data management systems (i.e. Elite and iManage) preferred but not required
- Excellent organizational/follow up skills; attention to detail, proof reading and accuracy are required
- Professional client and telephone manner and a proven track record of working with confidential information
- Strong grammatical skills, including punctuation and proofreading, attention to detail and accuracy are a must
- Demonstrated commitment to privacy and ethical conduct
- Legal Administration Certificate (preferred)
WHAT WE OFFER
- Competitive salary and benefits package
- Generous allowance of flex and vacation days
- RRSP matching program upon completion of the probationary period
- Opportunities for professional growth
- A flexible and positive work environment
*We thank all applicants who apply, however only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Equal Opportunity Statement
At Dentons Canada, inclusion, diversity and equity (ID&E) are not just ancillary values, they are foundational to our business. We believe that ID&E is essential to the shared success of our team and our clients. Our forward-thinking and inclusive culture supports the professional development of all our people, enhances the leading services we offer to our clients, and informs our commitment to make a positive impact in the communities where we live and work. As a testament to our commitment to ID&E, we have been recognized as one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employer’s for 12 consecutive years (2011-2022), as well as one of Canada’s Top Employers for Young People (2022) for the fifth time.
Dentons Canada is an equal opportunity employer and we welcome your application. All employment decisions, including hiring, will be made without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship, colour, creed, disability, ethnic origin, family status, gender assigned at birth, gender identity, marital status, place of origin, race, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by applicable human rights legislation.
We are committed to providing you with an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible workplace to support your success. Should you require accommodation during the recruitment process, for example as a result of a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.