Legal Assistant, Litigation Employment
City : New York City, NY, US, 10281
Category : Business and Financial Operations
Industry : Financial Services/Banking
Employer : Scotiabank
Requisition ID: 192597
Salary Range: 67,400.00 - 125,200.00
Please note that the Salary Range shown is a guideline only. Salary offered may vary based on factors, including, but not limited to, the successful candidate’s relevant knowledge, skills, and experience.
Join a purpose driven winning team, committed to results, in an inclusive and high-performing culture.
Global Banking and Markets
Global Banking and Markets (GBM) is a leading Canadian Capital Markets and Investment Banking business with a growing platform in the US and Latin America, operating globally for over 100 years. Scotiabank’s strong U.S. presence provides our clients an important bridge to this key global market for trade and investment flows across the Americas and the world.
Global Banking & Markets provides a full range of investment banking, credit and risk management products and services relevant to the financing and strategic development needs of our clients. Our products include debt and equity financing, mergers & acquisitions, corporate banking, institutional equity sales, trading and research, fixed income products, derivatives, energy, foreign exchange and precious & metals. We also cross-sell the full range of wholesale products and services offered by the Scotiabank Group.
Be part of an innovative, Global Capital Markets and Investment Banking business with a unique geographic footprint that puts capital to work for our clients across industries! We work together to drive ambition for every future!
Contributes to the overall success of the U.S. Legal Department with responsibility for supporting a team of five (5) litigation, regulatory enforcement, and employment counsel with litigation, employment, and regulatory matters affecting the Bank's U.S. Global Banking & Markets business
What You’ll Do
- Manage intake, tracking, and response to subpoenas, requests for information, class action notices and other similar types of legal inquiries and notices.
- Support litigation, employment, and regulatory lawyers, including tracking matter status and docket, maintaining calendar of deadlines, and initial drafting of discovery responses, legal hold notices, and custodian lists.
- Partner with Preservation and eDiscovery teams and outside counsel related to identification, preservation, collection, and processing of electronically stored information.
- Draft and provide updates and reports as to ongoing litigation, employment, and regulatory matters, including committee and board presentations and other reports.
- Assist with fact gathering and investigations and document reviews as needed.
- Review, revise and maintain policies and procedures for litigation, regulatory enforcement, and employment legal team.
- Support Legal Operations as needed.
What You’ll Bring
- 2+ years relevant litigation support experience at a large law firm and/or in-house
- Bachelor’s degree
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Professional, polished and confident demeanor
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Applications, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Ability to understand, interpret, and simplify legal terminology
- Ability to work independently and balance multiple priorities
- Be comfortable with areas where there is no clear answer; have superior problem-solving skills to present a reasoned, defensible response
- Ability to identify issues that require escalation and to manage the escalation process
- Demonstrated ability to self-start and work independently, and the desire and ability to work with a highly motivated team in a fast-paced environment
If your experience is closely related but doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification, we do encourage you to apply - you might be the right candidate for this or other roles at Scotiabank!
At Scotiabank, every employee is empowered to reach their fullest potential, respected for who they are and, embraced for their differences. That’s why we work to grow and diversify talent and engage employees in a performance-oriented culture.
What's in it for you?
Scotiabank wants you to be able to bring your best self to work – and life, every day. With a focus on holistic well-being, our many flexible benefit programs are designed to help support your unique family, financial, physical, mental, and social health needs.
Location(s): United States : New York : New York City
Scotiabank is a leading bank in the Americas. Guided by our purpose: "for every future", we help our customers, their families and their communities achieve success through a broad range of advice, products and services, including personal and commercial banking, wealth management and private banking, corporate and investment banking, and capital markets.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here. Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.