Legal Assistant, Financial Services Group (Toronto, ON, CA)
City : See posting
Category : Other
Industry : Legal Services
Employer : Dentons
Dentons is designed to be different. Our firm leads the way in a rapidly changing legal marketplace. We challenge the status quo and deliver consistent results as well as uncompromising quality and value to our clients. Our global presence is renowned with over 20,000 individuals in more than 200 offices across 82 countries.
Dentons Canada is committed to its people and communities. We are consistently recognized as an employer of choice having received numerous awards including being selected as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers (2023); Canada’s Top Employers for Young People (2023); Alberta Top 75 Employers (2023), Canada’s Best Diversity Employers (2023); Mansfield Rule 4.0+ Certification; Chambers Diversity & Inclusion Awards, North America 2021; and Canada Law Awards for Pro Bono Initiative of the Year 2021.
This role is an opportunity for you to join the world’s largest law firm, a firm that offers opportunities to build your career while growing your skills and deepening your expertise.
The Legal Assistant role requires a unique blend of skills and experience providing general and administrative support in our Financial Services Group. The position will require a confident, reliable and business-minded assistant with the ability to manage multiple tasks and adapt to changing priorities.
The successful candidate will be organized, discreet, detail-oriented, and have a client-first approach to work. In addition, the successful applicant must be team-oriented and accustomed to working as a work team with other assistants. Generally, the hours of work are from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. with some flexibility required to meet client needs; pre-authorized overtime may be required.
- Drafting, preparing and proofreading correspondence, accounts and various transactional documents and forms.
- Entering and maintaining lawyer’s dockets and coordinating with the Accounting Department, when necessary; preparing detailed billings.
- Dealing with and responding to client inquiries expeditiously and conducting follow up; keeping the lawyers apprised of interactions in their absence.
- Opening, maintaining and putting away files, and maintaining precedent systems using the Firm protocol for knowledge management.
- Processing incoming and outgoing mail, including maintenance of email accounts and managing bring forwards.
- Preparing and updating cheque requisitions and expense reports.
- Updating and maintaining client/matter lists and current client contact records electronically to meet Dentons’ requirements.
- General administrative duties such as scheduling appointments and meetings, photocopying materials, booking meeting rooms, making travel arrangements, etc.; working with other related Departments/services internally to provide documents and other materials on time to meet client needs.
- Maintaining and organizing files, both electronic and hard copy as required.
- Demonstrating a team approach; supporting and standing in for colleagues to cover absences; ensuring strict adherence to confidentiality; accountability in relation to both internal and external clients to achieve outputs and goals for the Department and the Firm.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Post-secondary education in business or related discipline. Legal Administration and/or Law Clerk Diploma preferred.
- Solid work experience in a legal environment with working knowledge of corporate law; preference will be given to previous experience gained within a large firm environment.
- Demonstrated knowledge of procedures, with a sound understanding of financial services transactions.
- PPSA experience an asset
- Passion for working in a team environment, willing to help others and comfortable with sharing work assignments.
- Ability to produce a high quality and quantity of work, occasionally under tight timelines.
- Able to meet deadlines, work well under pressure and take initiative using sound judgment.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (both verbal and written).
- Excellent technical proficiency in Microsoft Office applications.
- Knowledge of accounting/docketing systems and data management systems (i.e. Elite and iManage).
- Excellent organizational/follow up skills; attention to detail, proof reading and accuracy are required.
- Professional client and telephone manner and a proven track record of working with confidential information.
- Must have excellent problem solving skills, the ability to work with little instruction or supervision and be internally motivated.
- Professionalism demonstrated with colleagues, clients both in person and conversing by phone.
- Strong grammatical skills, including punctuation and proofreading, attention to detail and accuracy are a must.
- Demonstrated commitment to privacy and ethical conduct.
WHAT WE OFFER
- Join a firm that is recognized as one of the top 100 employers in Canada (2023)!
- Competitive salary and benefits package
- Generous allowance of flex and vacation days
- RRSP matching program
- Opportunities for professional growth
- Short and long term disability insurance
- Subsidized fitness program
- Various social events and activities throughout the year
We thank all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted
Equal Opportunity Statement
At Dentons Canada, inclusion, diversity and equity (ID&E) are not just ancillary values, they are foundational to our business. We believe that ID&E is essential to the shared success of our team and our clients. Our forward-thinking and inclusive culture supports the professional development of all our people, enhances the leading services we offer to our clients, and informs our commitment to make a positive impact in the communities where we live and work. As a testament to our commitment to ID&E, we have been recognized as one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employer’s for 12 consecutive years (2011-2022), as well as one of Canada’s Top Employers for Young People (2022) for the fifth time.
Dentons Canada is an equal opportunity employer and we welcome your application. All employment decisions, including hiring, will be made without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship, colour, creed, disability, ethnic origin, family status, gender assigned at birth, gender identity, marital status, place of origin, race, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by applicable human rights legislation.
We are committed to providing you with an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible workplace to support your success. Should you require accommodation during the recruitment process, for example as a result of a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.