Legal Assistant, Corporate and Tax (Edmonton, AB, CA)
City : See posting
Category : Other
Industry : Legal Services
Employer : Dentons
Dentons is designed to be different. Our firm leads the way in a rapidly changing legal marketplace. We challenge the status quo and deliver consistent results as well as uncompromising quality and value to our clients. Our global presence is renowned with over 20,000 individuals in more than 200 offices across 82 countries.
Dentons Canada is committed to its people and communities. We are consistently recognized as an employer of choice having received numerous awards including being selected as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers (2024); Canada’s Top Employers for Young People (2023); Alberta Top 75 Employers (2023), Canada’s Best Diversity Employers (2023); Mansfield Rule 4.0+ Certification; Chambers Diversity & Inclusion Awards, North America 2021; and Canada Law Awards for Pro Bono Initiative of the Year 2021.
This role is an opportunity for you to join the world’s largest law firm, a firm that offers opportunities to build your career while growing your skills and deepening your expertise.
We have an immediate opening for an experienced Tax/Corporate Legal Assistant in our Edmonton office. This is a twelve month contract position as a legal assistant position.
Our legal assistant structure is based on a team model within a practice group. Legal assistants typically support more than one lawyer and will be called upon help others within their practice group when workload volumes are at their peak or during periods of vacation or absence coverage.
- Drafting, editing and proofreading routine correspondence, letters and other related documents;
- Maintaining and organizing client contacts, files and various calendars;
- Prioritizing workflow to ensure completion of accurate work within established timelines;
- Managing administrative tasks, including time entry, billings, scheduling of appointments and coordinating meetings etc.;
- Transcribing digital voicemail and maintaining files and diarization on a daily basis;
- Working closely with the Paraprofessional team both in Tax and Corporate;
- Liaising with clients on a regular basis; and
- Any other duties, as required.
- Legal Assistant diploma from an accredited college plus a minimum of five (5) years of previous legal assistant experience in related practice areas;
- Tax/Corporate experience is considered a definite asset but not required as training can be provided;
- Superb accuracy, attention to detail and time management skills;
- Advanced computer skills; proficient with MS Word, Excel and Outlook;
- Experience with digital filing, document management and dictation software;
- Responsible, dependable and consistent;
- Demonstrated commitment to privacy and ethical conduct.
- Able to work with minimal instruction and prioritize the workload accordingly;
- Able to work independently and in a team environment;
- Highly motivated with excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Self-starter who is able to take initiative, multi-task and work well under pressure both independently and in a team setting; and,
- Provide support to new team members in being a buddy/mentor during onboarding.
At Dentons we are committed to offering equitable and competitive pay, we achieve this by aligning internal salary ranges for specific roles to similar positions in the external market. In the normal course, our practice is to hire, transfer and promote employees within the entry part of our range, adjusting as needed based on the prior experience, skills and competencies required for the role along with any market differentials. Rest assured the full salary range is competitive and within the range paid for similar positions in the external market.
Recognizing our exceptional talent means providing a comprehensive total rewards package beyond a competitive salary. We have prudently curated our employee benefits portfolio to offer inclusive and comprehensive wellbeing and developmental programs for our people. With extended benefits and mental health plans, paid time off, savings plans, fitness subsidy, parental leave top up and more, our benefits are flexible, aligned to our core values and supports the various needs of our people. Additionally, our personal and professional development programs include people networks, mentorships, and leadership series programming to help people grow their career.
Note: Availability of the benefits and perks may be subject to your location and employment type and may have certain eligibility requirements. Dentons reserves the right to alter these programs and offerings in whole or in part at any time without advance notice.
Equal Opportunity Statement
At Dentons Canada, inclusion, diversity and equity (ID&E) are not just ancillary values, they are foundational to our business. We believe that ID&E is essential to the shared success of our team and our clients. Our forward-thinking and inclusive culture supports the professional development of all our people, enhances the leading services we offer to our clients, and informs our commitment to make a positive impact in the communities where we live and work. As a testament to our commitment to ID&E, we have been recognized as one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employer’s for 12 consecutive years (2011-2022), as well as one of Canada’s Top Employers for Young People (2022) for the fifth time.
Dentons Canada is an equal opportunity employer and we welcome your application. All employment decisions, including hiring, will be made without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship, colour, creed, disability, ethnic origin, family status, gender assigned at birth, gender identity, marital status, place of origin, race, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by applicable human rights legislation.
We are committed to providing you with an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible workplace to support your success. Should you require accommodation during the recruitment process, for example as a result of a disability, please contact us at email@example.com.