Leadership Management Trainee Mechanical
City : Edmonton, AB, CA
Category : Other
Industry : Transportation
Employer : Canadian Pacific
Canadian Pacific (CP) and Kansas City Southern (KCS) are now CPKC. As the only truly North American railway, we are making big moves! Drawing on our strong foundations and heritage, CPKC moves essential goods across our 20,000-mile network to support economic growth throughout Canada, the U.S. and Mexico. Be a part of history as we connect a continent and create exciting career opportunities across our new transnational network. Visit cpkcr.com to learn about the CPKC advantage, our purpose and culture.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
The Leadership Management Trainee Mechanical (LMT-M) program ensures that all new trainees have the necessary leadership, industry knowledge and technical skills to successfully function as a mechanical supervisor across CPKC’s network. This program gives trainees a solid foundation in railroading, a strong support network and the necessary skills to ensure the reliability of our rail infrastructure.
This intensive seven-month training program includes classroom instruction, online training, workshops, projects and on-the-job training. You will be exposed to CPKC’s core business by completing an 11-week manager conductor training course. For 16 weeks, new trainees will learn the competencies required to oversee the safe operation and supervision of mechanical operations and use mechanical bad order processes, cycle and dwell times. This program includes training in leadership, safety and the fundamentals of CPKC’s precision scheduled railroading operating model, computer systems training and exposure to key departments within CPKC. Upon completion, you will be placed within CPKC’s network as a supervisor mechanical in either our locomotive or car shop.
Apply now to join our class starting June 19, 2023
- Quickly learn, retain and use mechanical bad order processes, cycle time, dwell time, productivity and key metrics to assign tasks and manage productivity within mechanical operations teams
- Be a safety leader through active observations and discussions about rule compliance and by implementing preventative measures through staff engagement
- Exhibit the leadership capacity to be an effective leader of mechanical operations employees
- Model the competencies of effective leadership: drive for results, lead others, lead thought and lead by example
- Demonstrate a sense of urgency when prioritizing work and make decisions aligned with CPKC’s values of accountability, diversity and pride as well as the five foundations: operate safely, develop people, control costs, optimize Assets and provide service
- Complete and pass management train conductor certification and be able to be deployed once qualified and as the business requires: failure to pass the conductor certification will result in removal from the program
- Successfully complete all phases of the LMT program by achieving minimum requirements on written, and practical evaluations; and deliver all reading, assignments and projects within assigned timelines
- Demonstrate aptitude of mechanical operating capabilities for further career advancement
- High school/general equivalency diploma is required, candidates with post-secondary education in a technical trade are preferred
- 1-2 years’ previous supervisory experience in transportation, construction, logistics, oil and gas, military, airlines, mining, or manufacturing industry is preferred
- Past railway experience in a mechanical foreman role is considered an asset
- A valid driver's license is required
- Ability to travel for extended periods of time, training may be delivered in multiple locations
- Preference will be given to candidates who are willing to relocate across the CPKC’s network
- Willingness to work 24/7 shifts including nights, weekends, and holidays is a requirement
- Ability to work in all weather conditions
- Strong verbal and written communication skills to effectively communicate CPKC policies, procedures, project plans, safety guidelines etc
- Able to foster trust and credibility in new work environments; build strong relationships across the business
- Proven time management skills and excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrate flexibility and adaptability to changing task priorities and work situations
- Leadership presence with the drive and commitment to career advancement
WHAT CPKC HAS TO OFFER:
- Flexible and competitive benefits package
- Competitive company pension plan
- Employee Share Purchase Plan
- Performance Incentive Program
- Annual Fitness Subsidy
- Part-time Studies Program
As an employer with North American presence, the possibility does exist that the location of your position may be changed based on organizational requirements.
Training Program Location:
The majority of training will take place in Calgary, Alberta; however some on-the-job training will be required within various provinces or territories throughout CPKC’s network in Canada
Operating safely is a core foundation of CPKC. Our commitment is to protect our people, customers, communities in which we operate, the environment and our assets. We are also committed to a healthy and safe workplace. CPKC’s Alcohol and Drug Policy and Procedures (“Policy and Procedures”) support these commitments. All new hires for a safety critical position will be required to complete a pre-employment medical that includes a physical, vision, hearing, alcohol, and drug audit assessment. Pre-employment qualification drug test(s) are also required. This includes candidates participating in the Trainee Program who will also be required to pass a drug test during the training process before receiving final qualification for the position.
The successful candidate will need to successfully complete the following clearances:
- Criminal history check
- Reference check
- Education verification
Management Conductor Program:
Becoming a qualified conductor or locomotive engineer is the single best way for a management employee to learn the business at CPKC. You will be required to obtain a certification or to maintain your current certification/qualification as a conductor or locomotive engineer in this program
CPKC is an employment equity employer committed to the principles of employment equity and inclusion. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply including women, Black, Indigenous, People of Colour (BIPOC), members of the LGBTQ+ community, and people with disabilities. Accommodations for the job application process can be provided, as appropriate, upon request. All applicant information will be managed in accordance with the federal Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA)”.