Leadership Management Trainee Engineering
City : CA
Category : Other
Industry : Transportation
Employer : Canadian Pacific
- Req ID: 100401
- Department: Engineering
- Job Type: Full-Time
- Position Type: Non-Union
- Location: System Wide - Canada
- Country: Canada
- % of Travel: 70-80%
- # of Positions: 8
- Job Grade: 5
- Job Available to: Internal & External
- Deadline to apply: 05/31/2023
Canadian Pacific (CP) is a transcontinental railway in Canada and the United States with direct links to major ports on the west and east coasts. CP provides North American customers a competitive rail service with access to key markets in every corner of the globe. CP is growing with its customers, offering a suite of freight transportation services, logistics solutions and supply chain expertise. Visit cpr.ca to see the rail advantages of CP. For more on our purpose, culture, and strategy, visit cpr.ca/en/about-cp.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
The Leadership Management Trainee Engineering (LMT-E) program ensures that new trainees have the necessary leadership, industry knowledge and technical skills to successfully function as a production supervisor. This program gives trainees a solid foundation in railroading, a strong support network and the necessary skills to ensure the reliability of our rail infrastructure.
This intensive seven-month training program includes classroom instruction, online training, workshops, projects and on-the-job training. You will be exposed to CP’s core business by completing a 10 week manager conductor training course. For 16 weeks, new engineering management employees learn the competencies required to oversee the safe operation and supervision of capital work projects, track renewal programs and infrastructure improvements.
This program includes training in leadership, safety and an introduction to railway capital work project management, the fundamentals of CP’s precision scheduled railroading operating model, computer systems training and exposure to key departments within CP. Upon completion, you will be placed within CP’s network as a production supervisor.
Apply now to join our next class starting June 19, 2023.
- Quickly learn, retain and use railroad operating systems, applications and local operating plans to assign tasks and manage productivity within engineering teams;
- Be a safety leader through active observations and discussions about rule compliance and by implementing preventative measures through staff engagement;
- Exhibit the leadership capacity to be an effective leader of engineering department employees;
- Model the competencies of effective leadership: drive for results, lead others, lead thought and lead by example;
- Demonstrate a sense of urgency when prioritizing work and make decisions aligned with CP’s values of accountability, diversity and pride as well as the five foundations: operate safely, develop people, control costs, optimize assets and provide service;
- Complete and pass management train conductor certification and be able to be deployed once qualified and as the business requires: failure to pass the conductor certification will result in removal from the program; and
- Successfully complete all phases of the LMT program by achieving minimum requirements on written, and practical evaluations; and deliver all reading, assignments and projects within assigned timelines.
- High school/general equivalency diploma is required, candidates with post-secondary education in a technical trade are preferred;
- 1-2 years’ previous supervisory experience in transportation, logistics, supply chain management, military, airlines, mining, or manufacturing industry is preferred;
- Past railway experience in a track maintenance, foreman or machine operator role an asset;
- Must possess a valid driver’s license;
- Ability to travel for extended periods of time, training may be delivered in multiple locations;
- Preference will be given to candidates who are willing to relocate across the CP network
- Willingness to work 24/7 shifts including nights, weekends, and holidays is a requirement;
- Ability to work in all weather conditions;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills effectively communicate CP policies, procedures, project plans, safety guidelines etc.
- Able to foster trust and credibility in new work environments; build strong relationships across the business;
- Proven time management skills and excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Demonstrate flexibility and adaptability to changing task priorities and work situations; and
- Leadership presence with the drive and commitment to career advancement.
WHAT CP HAS TO OFFER
- Flexible and competitive benefits package
- Competitive retirement plan
- Employee Share Purchase Plan
- Performance Incentive Program
- Annual Fitness Subsidy
- Part-time Studies Program
Training Program Location
The majority of training will take place in Calgary, Alberta; however some of the job training will be required in the field within various provinces, states or territories throughout CP’s network.
As an employer with national presence, the possibility does exist that the location of your position may be changed based on organizational requirements. Preference will be given to candidates who are willing to relocate.
CP is committed to the safety and health of its employees and the general public. This position is a safety critical position; all new hires will be required to complete a pre-employment medical that includes a physical, vision, hearing, alcohol and drug audit assessments. A qualification drug test is also required.
To be eligible for hire in this role, all candidates must successfully complete criminal history and reference checks as well as a driver’s license verification.
CP is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, inclusive of protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals.