Leader, EMS and Component Distribution
City : Remote-Canada
Category : Supply Chain, Logistics & Quality Assurance
Industry : Telecommunications
Employer : Ciena
Ciena is committed to our people-first philosophy. Our teams enjoy a culture focused on prioritizing a personalized and flexible work environment that empowers an individual’s passions, growth, wellbeing and belonging. We’re a technology company that leads with our humanity—driving our business priorities alongside meaningful social, community, and societal impact.
The successful candidate will be a member of the EMS and Component Distribution Management Team responsible for creating strategic direction for exec team review/approval, driving commercial initiatives, and ensuring supplier performance of daily operations with Contract Manufacturers and Distribution partners. Key activities of the role include driving commercial negotiations, contract negotiations and editing (with support from Legal) to ensure optimum business terms for Ciena, working with management and cross functional organizations to establish the optimum business/financial model(s) and performance requirements to be set-up with partners, driving implementation of key initiatives within area of scope such as simplification of partner claim approval, tracking, reconciliation and payment, and onboarding processes/orchestration of component suppliers into distribution.
The role / What you will do at Ciena:
- Develop, recommend, and drive implementation of EMS strategies to support lower cost of ownership, simplified operations, high level of performance, and reduced risk for geo-political and other supply chain risks.
- Support product lines in the development of RFQ packages which may include numerous participants. Manage all communications with the suppliers and conduct deep analysis of proposals in order to grade supplier responses and make solid recommendation of potential award decisions..
- Coordinate the monthly and quarterly claim processes with EMS and Distribution partners.
- Provide content to management for quarterly internal Operations Reviews
- Provide input to Budget and Financial forecasting of cost reductions, supplier fees, and expected claims.
- Driving end-to-end lowest total cost of ownership of material flowing through the component supply chain from component suppliers, through Ciena’s third party component distribution partners and to/through contract manufacturers. This to be accomplished by ensuring the right model/fit and agreements are in place to enable the objectives and corresponding processes are in place to track and drive adherence.
- Manage relationships and performance of component distribution partners in part, by coordinating quarterly business reviews through facilitating internal collaboration of stakeholders on scoring and reporting of KPIs for their areas of responsibilities.
- Coordinate onboarding of new suppliers into the distribution programs through strong collaboration with Distribution Partners, Contract Manufacturing Partners, Suppliers and Ciena GCM teams
- Drive initiatives to improve operational efficiencies and challenge partners to provide new supply chain models and value-added services (Spot Buy Desk, Re-packaging service, …)
- Candidate must foster strong working relationships at all levels with EMS and Distribution partners.
- Candidate must build healthy working relationships with internal stakeholders (Supply Chain Organizations, Product Line Management, & Design),
- Candidate must enable frequent communications with partners to ensure continuous alignment of priorities between the supplier and Ciena while addressing concerns related to pricing, claims, support, quality and service level.
- Coordinate/Drive quarterly Supplier business reviews (QBRs/EBRs) for working operational teams and with executives to drive continuous improvement and ensure executive strategic alignment.
- Seasoned and demonstrated commercial business acumen with EMS suppliers, including history of contract negotiation and editting.
- Keen negotiator demonstrated up to senior level execs within EMS partners
- Strong executive communication; creating and delivering clear, simple, executive-level presentations/PPTs.
- Ability to influence and foster strong relationships both internally and externally up to executive levels.
- Confidently works well under pressure with excellent time management discipline and emotional maturity.
- Deep understanding of product transformation cost elements among the different contract manufacturing models; EMS, JDM, ODM, OEM
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and ability to work with people at all levels both internally and externally.
- Solid finance knowledge; all facets of operation’s contributions to corporate financial statements
- Willingness to travel 25%-50%
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in business, finance, or engineering. MBA preferred.
- >10 years of broad contract manufacturing experience manufacturing from low volume/high complexity networking/communications systems (routers, switches, storage,) to low-cost, high volume consumer-like electronics (residential routers, modems, PC accessories,)
- Thorough knowledge and experience with working with Tier 1 and Tier 2 contract manufactures across the globe: specifically Southeast Asia and Mexico
- Deep experience with the different contract manufacturing engagement models; traditional EMS, JDM, ODM
- Advanced skills with Microsoft suite of products (PowerPoint, Excel, and Power BI) and strong data analysis competency.
At Ciena, we are committed to building and fostering an environment in which our employees feel respected, valued, and heard. Ciena values the diversity of its workforce and respects its employees as individuals. We do not tolerate any form of discrimination.
If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, please advise Ciena of any accommodation measures you may require.