Lead software Designer (Secure coding, Java, Web Development)
City : North York
Category : Full-time
Industry : Finance
Employer : Sun Life Financial
You are as unique as your background, experience and point of view. Here, you’ll be encouraged, empowered and challenged to be your best self. You'll work with dynamic colleagues - experts in their fields - who are eager to share their knowledge with you. Your leaders will inspire and help you reach your potential and soar to new heights. Every day, you'll have new and exciting opportunities to make life brighter for our Clients - who are at the heart of everything we do. Discover how you can make a difference in the lives of individuals, families and communities around the world.
Digital Solutions is a team of skilled professionals who dedicate their careers to accelerating the growth of Sun Life’s digital platforms through technology-based solutions. We focus on looking for and seizing opportunities to leverage digital, data and analytics in new ways as we continue to help our Clients achieve lifetime financial security, live healthier lives and connect with us. Come join us as we continue to intensify the focus on our digital journey, helping our clients and transforming our business in exciting ways!
We are currently seeking a Lead Software Engineer to provide technical design, development, support and analysis for large-scale applications and systems. The successful candidate is a team player with excellent technical and problem-solving skills, is aware of industry trends, and shows initiative, be accepting of responsibility and be accountable for results.
What will you do?
- Collaborate with skilled Agile team members to understand user needs and design, develop and deliver high quality web applications that meet those needs
- Configure and design applications and workflows, using outside the box thinking, to create innovative ways to advance our client first strategy
- Provide coaching, mentoring, and leadership to the design and development project team
- Provide technical leadership and guidance to projects, ensuring risks are mitigated and projects are implemented successfully
- Contribute to defining timelines and plans; analyze and estimate feasibility, cost, time and scope
- Ensure coding, testing, debugging and implementation activities are completed as required
- Ensure information security standards and requirements are incorporated into all solutions
- Contribute to the ongoing support, stability and performance of application systems in production including problem analysis, resolution, escalation and reporting as necessary
- Stay current with trends in emerging technologies and how they could apply to Sun Life
- Participate in agile ceremonies
What you need to succeed:
- University Degree or College Diploma in a related discipline
- 10+ years of Software development experience with full application development life cycle and systems integration experience
- Experience in leading projects and providing technical guidance to the team
- Advanced overall understanding of Web applications and server technologies
- Strong working experience with Java, J2EE, Unix/Linux, middleware technologies, web and web hosting technologies
- Strong working knowledge of development of Secure Code, Web Services and APIs
- Experience using DevOps tools including Jenkins, Artifactory, BitBucket, Maven, CDD/Ansible
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Flexible and adaptable with the ability to align to changing priorities
- Customer obsession – customers are at the centre of all we do
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a strong, collaborative, multi-site team
- Self-directed and proactive
- Ability to liaise with internal and external stakeholders and adapt approach when dealing with technical and non-technical audiences
- A penchant for creating re-usable components and identifying opportunities for re-use
- Coaching and mentoring skills to help strengthen your team
- Occasional travel between Sun Life locations (Toronto, Waterloo) may be required depending on work assignment
- Periodic weekend/after-hours work may be required to support project implementations and system upgrades.
- Must be able to obtain Reliability Status through the Government of Canada before a start date can be confirmed (includes a background check with fingerprinting by the RCMP)
What’s in it for you:
- Great Place to Work® Certified in Canada and the US - 2022
- Great Place to Work® award for Best Workplaces for #HybridWork
- 2022 Named “Best Places to Work” by Glassdoor - 2021
- Canada Award for Excellence for Mental Health at Work
- 2021 Flexible hybrid work model including in-country work-from-home if you prefer.
- Pension, stock and savings programs to help build and enhance your future financial security.
The Base Pay range is for the primary location for which the job is posted. It may vary depending on the work location of the successful candidate or other factors. In addition to Base Pay, eligible Sun Life employees participate in various incentive plans, payment under which is discretionary and subject to individual and company performance. Certain sales focused roles have sales incentive plans based on individual or group sales results.
Diversity and inclusion have always been at the core of our values at Sun Life. A diverse workforce with wide perspectives and creative ideas benefits our clients, the communities where we operate and all of us as colleagues. We welcome applications from qualified individuals from all backgrounds.
Persons with disabilities who need accommodation in the application process or those needing job postings in an alternative format may e-mail a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
At Sun Life we strive to create a flexible work environment where our employees are empowered to do their best work. Several flexible work options are available and can be discussed throughout the selection process depending on the role requirements and individual needs.
We thank all applicants for showing an interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Salary Range:80,000/80 000 - 130,400/130 400
Job Category:IT - Application Development
Posting End Date:22/03/2023